Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By - Max -
  • 2 Post By arsheesh
  • 1 Post By Gatekeeper501

Thread: $200 - 1 Regional Map & 1 City Map & Close Up Map ALL B&W

  1. #1
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Timmins, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Map $200 - 1 Regional Map & 1 City Map & Close Up Map ALL B&W

    Project
    I have a fantasy novel being released in about 2 months (Late July too mid August). Medieval setting with orcs, elves, giants, etc..
    If you are unable to do all parts of the project, please contact me to discuss what you can/can't do or possibly find someone who can assist you in this project. (Please Note: It is $200 per map, a total of $600 if you complete all 3 maps).

    Setting:
    Medieval setting with orcs, elves, giants, etc..

    Design Concept
    The regional map is two large land masses with a very large river in between leading to a bay. The actual full map is undeveloped, so this will be just a small snap shot of an area on the world map. About half the size of Britain, it would have approximately 12 towns. Each town/city/landmark should be drawn in miniature scale as well as roads & 6 banners will be needed.
    EXAMPLE: Trenth by Fred73fr on deviantART

    The city map is a single shoreline city that has a keep further back.
    EXAMPLE: Limpet City - Steammancer's Folly Part One by Ramah-Palmer on deviantART

    Close up map is of the bridge the spans the massive and story compelling river. Covered with shops, inns, docks, loading bays, etc..
    EXAMPLE (Followed Closely): Bridge District by Fred73fr on deviantART

    Banners Example
    SOI - Orc and Troll Tribe Banners by chermilla on deviantART

    NOTE: All must be shaded best for a vivid black and white image! No color necessary!

    Number of maps:
    $200 - One regional overland map showing points of interest in the area. Also will have the 6 banners.
    $200 - One overview city map.
    $200 - One more detailed map showing a city built on and along a bridge.
    TOTAL OF $600 if you wish to finish ALL.

    Technical:
    6x9 ratio for every image.
    300 dpi minimum. Jpg, tiff, or png files.
    Black and White, but shaded, not just rough lines.

    Copyright:
    Full rights belong to myself.
    Cartographer may use images in their portfolio but cannot sell, distribute or recreate for profit.

    Deadline:
    15 days for drafts.
    30 days for 1 finished image.
    45 days for remaining two images.
    TOTAL OF 60 DAYS!

    Payment:
    $200 payable via paypal only. Dispersed as follows.
    $50 show of faith.
    $50 upon receiving rough drafts for the maps.
    $100 once all images are finished and ready to be sent.

    Contact:
    Robert Boucher
    gatekeeper501(hat)hotmail(drot)com
    Please use subject line 'Cartography' and no, its not hat or drot. You know what I'm doing.
    Last edited by Gatekeeper501; 06-02-2014 at 11:23 PM.

  2. #2
      - Max - is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor - Max -'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,703

    Default

    $200 for a regional map, a city map and an iso urban map, really? Would you agree that people buy your novel for 10 cents?

  3. #3
      arsheesh is offline
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,251

    Default

    First off, welcome to the Guild Gatekeeper. Second, allow me to elaborate on the point made by Max. The images of maps that you have linked to are of a professional, commercial quality. There are many professional, armature and novice level cartographers here who use these forums to look for map commissions. Some of the latter may be willing to take on a commission, such as yours, for little to no pay as a way of refining their skills and building their portfolio. However the end product of such work will in general be nowhere near the level of quality demonstrated in the images you've linked to. If you wish to attract professional cartographers to do quality work for your novel then your commission rate will need to reflect that. Currently it does not. Not by a long-shot.

    In addition, your schedule is a bit demanding. Three maps in 60 days is doable, but it's tight, and many artists/cartographers would either reduce the detail/quality of the art or require additional compensation in order to do quality work in that short of a time-frame. Further, given your coprright restrictions, most cartographers will require additional compensation since this will be the only opportunity for them to profit from it commercially.

    Rates vary widely from artist to artist and depending upon the nature of the project. I can tell you that I personally wouldn't even consider taking a project like this on for anything under $750 (and it wouldn't become attractive to me till the commission rate cleared a grand). I suggest that you take the time to read through this guide. It does a very nice job of breaking down what realistic expectations are for publishers/novelists looking to commission artwork. I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

  4. #4
      Azelor is offline
    Guild Artisan Azelor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    897

    Default

    I don't do commission (maybe eventually) but it seems that 200$ would be ok for one map or maybe less depending on the artist. And depending on the complexity.

    But your deadline says end of june... that's in 4 weeks=28 days not 60 ! Yes I know, summer took a while to show up = confusion.

    By the way, do you still have snow in Timmins ?
    Last edited by Azelor; 06-02-2014 at 09:16 PM.

  5. #5
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Timmins, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I probably need to clarify, I was offering $200 per map. Not for total. $600 is a fair price I believe. But I do think I may have found a cartographer, may be closing this soon.

  6. #6
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Timmins, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I don't do commission (maybe eventually) but it seems that 200$ would be ok for one map or maybe less depending on the artist. And depending on the complexity.

    But your deadline says end of june... that's in 4 weeks=28 days not 60 ! Yes I know, summer took a while to show up = confusion.

    By the way, do you still have snow in Timmins ?
    No, it has been about 2 weeks since the last snow vanished.

  7. #7
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Timmins, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    $200 for a regional map, a city map and an iso urban map, really? Would you agree that people buy your novel for 10 cents?
    It is $200 per map, if that is too little for you then that is fine. No, the novel will be 11 cents, 12 cents with a signature from the author.

  8. #8
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Timmins, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    First off, welcome to the Guild Gatekeeper. Second, allow me to elaborate on the point made by Max. The images of maps that you have linked to are of a professional, commercial quality. There are many professional, armature and novice level cartographers here who use these forums to look for map commissions. Some of the latter may be willing to take on a commission, such as yours, for little to no pay as a way of refining their skills and building their portfolio. However the end product of such work will in general be nowhere near the level of quality demonstrated in the images you've linked to. If you wish to attract professional cartographers to do quality work for your novel then your commission rate will need to reflect that. Currently it does not. Not by a long-shot.

    In addition, your schedule is a bit demanding. Three maps in 60 days is doable, but it's tight, and many artists/cartographers would either reduce the detail/quality of the art or require additional compensation in order to do quality work in that short of a time-frame. Further, given your coprright restrictions, most cartographers will require additional compensation since this will be the only opportunity for them to profit from it commercially.

    Rates vary widely from artist to artist and depending upon the nature of the project. I can tell you that I personally wouldn't even consider taking a project like this on for anything under $750 (and it wouldn't become attractive to me till the commission rate cleared a grand). I suggest that you take the time to read through this guide. It does a very nice job of breaking down what realistic expectations are for publishers/novelists looking to commission artwork. I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Sadly I do see where I came off as seeming to only pay $200, my mistake. Rest assured my editor is much more skilled than I when it comes to being crystal clear.

    Second of all, I understand doing all three maps in 60 days would be difficult. But once again, it was my mistake in giving the impression that all three maps where combined as one transaction.

    Third, I am sorry you feel my copyright is too demanding, I had hoped the financial compensation of $200 would be sufficient to a professional and they would at most only use it for their portfolios. This in my eyes would be considered profiting from it commercially and will continue to profit when I hire them for following books. I have had bad experiences in the past and would like to remain a 100% holder of the rights. Nothing quite like the feeling of finding the artwork you paid for in another book!

    For your last comment, I regress to point once again at my own error. Probably helps build a load of confidence with this guild as a writer, right?
    Wired likes this.

  9. #9
      arsheesh is offline
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper501 View Post
    I probably need to clarify, I was offering $200 per map. Not for total. $600 is a fair price I believe. But I do think I may have found a cartographer, may be closing this soon.
    Ah, OK, well that is certainly more reasonable. Glad to here you may have found the right person for the job.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

  10. #10
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Timmins, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Yes, you may close this post. I have found a cartographer. Thank you all for applying!

    -Gatekeeper

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •