Voted for RE and MV, both great maps.
- RE, your map is spectaculair! I have a soft spot for both ISO and grungy maps, and this piece combines both in an awesome manner with great composition and sketchy style... (one little detail, the compass doesn't really fit in... ;)
- MV, not your best in my opinion, but you really have an eye for presentation, and this one looks pretty slick again! Functional and ... well, a lot of skulls
- ddedeso, the good thing about these challenges is that you cant lose :D I really like the color-pallete you used. Also the subtle texture looks good. The overal layout of the map is hard to read though because the shading of walls is somewhat inconsistent..
- jtougas, I really like the layout, and the overal look is nice. I also tried to create maps using pre-build graphics and found out it's tricky to get a consistent look. For me your map is a bit too colorfull, for example not many buildings would have different floors in each room.
- Gmon, you really did a great job on lighting and shades. I think it's hard to give depth to a side-view-map (yeah, side-view-maps ARE maps imo ;) but this one looks great!
- Tilt, euhh ... it's a very interesting picture of a dead-end ;) (shading and texture look great though)
All thanks for entering! cheers!
I had to vote for RE's, of course. Like Djekspek said, the combination of Iso and grunge is spectacular.
My second vote went to MapVandal - I loved the story, and the faded, almost-sepia look of the map makes it look like something completely authentic. I had a hard time choosing between this and Geamon's but ultimately I had to go with MV's - it's deliciously creepy.
Thanks for the comments on my map. I had plans for more interior objects like furniture, runes, a coffin, supplies, etc, but I got rather ingrossed in the sketches and didn't find the time or desire to finish the interior of the map Maybe someday soon I will take it back up and finish it. Thanks for your votes and I am glad everyone enjoyed the story.
Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone! I really appreciate the C&C. I really like when the voters offer as many comments on each entry as everyone did this time around. I had a lot of fun on this challenge. I can't wait to try my steel against the likes of Djekspek, Ascension, and RJBeals to see if I have what it takes to join the prestigious Gold Compass Club!
I voted for RE's as well since it is a very nice map indeed, is a difficult style to get right and think this one did and also it fit the bill very well. Not only that but its the sort of map you can just fling down when you need somewhere ad hoc for your party to investigate and its interesting. RE you were always able to do the main challenge whenever you felt like it but if you win you will have the max 3 compasses which means that you would have to go to that club.
My second vote went to gaemon because it was also a place that was obviously below ground and was not a bad map but without any kind of top down we have no idea what shape rooms they make so it would be less useful to play ad hoc. Still, well done.
Redrobes - Thanks, I really appreciate it! And actually, I've participated in the main challenges before, but ever since I won a single silver I've limited myself to only the lite challenge. I guess I'm slightly obsessive, and felt like I had to have the whole max 'set' before I moved on. Now I'll probably fixate on winning three, and only three, gold compasses. Then I'll have to start making tutorials until I get exactly three of those...
thanks to the 2people who voted me. here's a HUGE version of the Fiery Temple.
Thanks. Just to be clear, there's a few more days of voting still - the voting ends on the 24th, so there's still a lot of time for the situation to change (but RE's map is going to be a tough one to beat).
Hmm..maybe I can get ONE vote..:) Seriously everyones maps were excellent.. :)
Originally Posted by torstan
I voted for "jtougas - The Society Of Shadow" and "RecklessEnthusiasm - Those Damn Damp Depths Derived from Dubious Drainage". I find the technique amasing in RecklessEnthusiasm's map, and the time evidently spent by jtougas is meriting of a reward.