Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: July 2012 challenge entry: The Isle of Aedenis

  1. #11
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    vorropohaiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    35.921568 N,14.480068 E
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    I can't tell if the border and projection lines are pen/ink or some crazy photoshop filter?
    That means the effect worked
    all the lines are a simple stroke-effect with the spatter and sprayed stroke brush strokes filters applied to them, which i think make for a very convincing realistic hand-drawn effect.
    The mountains and trees were drawn in pencil/ink and scanned, though they did undergo some blurring, sharpening and filters
    The houses were drawn in a tablet on PS and were subjected to the same blurring and sharpening and filters to make them match a bit more
    The text is normal text in PS... with the same effects applied

  2. #12
      Chashio is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Chashio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    923

    Default

    I thought your first map was cool. This one is simply incredible! Wow.
    Not sure about the lines crossing over the ship and map title, though. May be accurate for the style you're after, but--especially on the ship--it makes me cringe.

  3. #13
      RjBeals is offline
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default

    that spatter & spray stroke - thats photoshop? Illustrator? and is it a custom brush stroke you donwlnoaded? I have to try that - I always struggle with creating the grungy ink look. Nice work -

  4. #14
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    vorropohaiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    35.921568 N,14.480068 E
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Not sure about the lines crossing over the ship and map title, though. May be accurate for the style you're after, but--especially on the ship--it makes me cringe.
    yeah I know what you mean. It does go with the period/style though might be distracting so i removed some of them

    Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    that spatter & spray stroke - thats photoshop? Illustrator? and is it a custom brush stroke you donwlnoaded? I have to try that - I always struggle with creating the grungy ink look. Nice work -
    they're standard PhotoShop filter effects though only will only work with a white background,so you'll need to set the layer to multiply to mane the white 'invisible'

    ### latest wip ###
    July 2012 challenge entry: The Isle of Aedenis-aedenis.jpg


    I added a cartouche, some weathering to the lines and a little bit of a (silly) story to it to add some character. Its not final, though pretty much done. Still trying to think of things to add to it.
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 07-20-2012 at 02:00 AM.

  5. #15
      arsheesh is online now
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Looking good. The only critique I have is that the text on the left-hand side looks a bit too clean and crisp given that throughout the rest of the map the you have a sort of "ink-smear" effect going on. You may want to grunge up the text a bit. Otherwise looking good.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

  6. #16
      daemaree is offline
    Guild Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    31

    Default

    This is a really cool map. I love the way you drew the mountains. My only critique would be how you faded the squiggly water lines. It looks like you just went around all the edges with the eraser, which is fine, but I think it adds a little bit of artificiality to an otherwise hand-drawn styled map. Maybe you could make the blurring a little less uniform, or use another filter effect?

  7. #17

  8. #18
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    vorropohaiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    35.921568 N,14.480068 E
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    The only critique I have is that the text on the left-hand side looks a bit too clean and crisp given that throughout the rest of the map the you have a sort of "ink-smear" effect going on. You may want to grunge up the text a bit. Otherwise looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by daemaree View Post
    My only critique would be how you faded the squiggly water lines. It looks like you just went around all the edges with the eraser, which is fine, but I think it adds a little bit of artificiality to an otherwise hand-drawn styled map. Maybe you could make the blurring a little less uniform, or use another filter effect?
    advice taken actually I had noticed the waves before (basically, after applying the pattern as an outer glow i just used the eraser on the edges. in hindsight I should have just used a median noise and brush spatter and gaussian blur on it. anywho, that should be fixed now. same with the extra text.

    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Changed your thread title for you.
    thanks, was going to contact a mod to do it anyway

    July 2012 challenge entry: The Isle of Aedenis-aedenis.jpg

  9. #19
      Lukc is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor Lukc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lausanne, CH
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Spatter and spray strokes ... hmmm ... I have to try that!

  10. #20
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    vorropohaiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    35.921568 N,14.480068 E
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Spatter and spray strokes ... hmmm ... I have to try that!
    keep them subtle if you do, or theylll look too crazy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •