Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: January Entry: The Lost Continent

  1. #31
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Posts
    9,463

    Post

    I'll echo myself from post #21...

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    This looks really nice Bryguy...great job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.

    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.



  2. #32
      Karro is offline
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    928

    Post

    It looks pretty darn good. The only comment I have, and I know this would be hard to do, is that for a an old book just laying open, the lines of the map and the text are awfully straight. It looks like if I hold a ruler up to the computer screen, the text and other lines will line right up. This makes it look not so much like it's following the curve of the page.

    I'm not sure how I'd do it, myself (I think there are some hints on it in RobA's GIMP tutorial on how to do distortion, if you're using GIMP) but it looks like they could use some kind of distortion.

    You mention that it doesn't look right if you flatten it. Are you flattening in the right order? If you flatten your layers in the wrong order, you lose some effects, but in the right order and everything is preserved. IIRC, you have to flatten from top to bottom.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

    Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

    Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

  3. #33
      bryguy is offline
    Guild Adept bryguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In my own little world =D
    Posts
    289

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    It looks pretty darn good. The only comment I have, and I know this would be hard to do, is that for a an old book just laying open, the lines of the map and the text are awfully straight. It looks like if I hold a ruler up to the computer screen, the text and other lines will line right up. This makes it look not so much like it's following the curve of the page.

    I'm not sure how I'd do it, myself (I think there are some hints on it in RobA's GIMP tutorial on how to do distortion, if you're using GIMP) but it looks like they could use some kind of distortion.

    You mention that it doesn't look right if you flatten it. Are you flattening in the right order? If you flatten your layers in the wrong order, you lose some effects, but in the right order and everything is preserved. IIRC, you have to flatten from top to bottom.
    Yea I know it is awfully straight. Im trying to think of a good way to fix it. For the text, I might just make a path and set the text to path, but the image is harder, as it doesnt look very good when I do it....

    I think I gave the wrong impression, what I meant was what I have to do to get it to a size this site will accept is to save it as a .png, and then open the .png in GIMP and scale it down to 1000x1000. This last time I did it I used the wrong type of scaling (I have been using cubic scaling, as when making images smaller it keeps all the detail) so it ended up slightly blurry at parts.

    Thanks for the comments Karro
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."


    -Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

  4. #34
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Default

    Personally, I would go with one of the runic looking fonts, with hard sharp angles and no curves. Rune is one I kind of like. Of course.... if you really wanna go overboard, perhaps you could do it in binary or mathematical language other than Base10 for the "letters".
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  5. #35
      Karro is offline
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    928

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    Yea I know it is awfully straight. Im trying to think of a good way to fix it. For the text, I might just make a path and set the text to path, but the image is harder, as it doesnt look very good when I do it....

    I think I gave the wrong impression, what I meant was what I have to do to get it to a size this site will accept is to save it as a .png, and then open the .png in GIMP and scale it down to 1000x1000. This last time I did it I used the wrong type of scaling (I have been using cubic scaling, as when making images smaller it keeps all the detail) so it ended up slightly blurry at parts.

    Thanks for the comments Karro

    Hmm. Not experienced enough with GIMP to know how to handle this.

    No prob on the comments. Your's is easily in my top 5 for this month!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

    Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

    Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

  6. #36
      bryguy is offline
    Guild Adept bryguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In my own little world =D
    Posts
    289

    Post

    @--> Jfrazierjr

    Yea Im thinking I might go with something like that, probably The Alphabet of the Magi or Tengwar Noldor.

    @--> Karro

    Yea trying out the text to path, it keeps messing up my computer, so I dont think that will work. Ill probably have to import parts of it into Inkscape to get the curves on the stuff, if I can find it/remember how to use it


    And Im glad Ill be on someones top 5
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."


    -Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

  7. #37
      RobA is offline
    Administrator RobA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Niagara, Canada
    Posts
    5,532

    Post

    Try this as a displacement map on the page:
    January Entry: The Lost Continent-map.png

    (You will have to scale it to cover the text and image)

    Set it to y only, and as large as you want.

    -Rob A>

  8. #38
      Ascension is offline
    Community Leader Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    8,216

    Post

    Alphabet of the Magi is one of my all time favorites for rune looking things that don't look like Norse or Ultima. I used it in my entry on the CWBP in the frame. Elven Common Speak is also one I use a heckuva lot cuz it looks so spidery. The pages kick butt now, good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)


    My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

  9. #39
      bryguy is offline
    Guild Adept bryguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In my own little world =D
    Posts
    289

    Post

    @--> RobA

    How do I set it as a displacement map? Ive never done displacement maps before....


    @--> Ascension


    Yea trying it out on the map it looks sweeeeeeeeeet

    Although it causes me to need to alter some things with the text to make room for it, but I think it looks sw(e to the 10 power)t
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."


    -Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

  10. #40
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    @--> RobA

    How do I set it as a displacement map? Ive never done displacement maps before....
    Filters->Map->Displace. Then choose the layer with the image Rob provided.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •