Realistic Elevation Photoshop Brushes
When tackling the problem of creating a realistic elevation map, i tried first to make a set of brushes that i could use to paint in elevation with. These were carefully created from real elevation data. While they certainly work better than painting with round fuzzy brushes, it wasn't entirely what i wanted, and i mostly turned to copy/pasting real elevation into my map. However, i've still found the brushes useful to add in some detail, and some of you may find them useful too. So i present them here.
* To keep the pattern from being too obvious, these brushes are highly randomized in position, opacity, rotation, scale, etc, and some combine 2 graphic elements. Each click will produce a different result.
* Some of these brushed look best with single clicks, and others if you paint a stroke.
* Some of these brushes are extremely large approaching 500 px wide, so the detail is about as high res as i could get it.
* The Brushes are named: "Geo UP..." or "Geo DOWN", as you might expect, these are designed to raise or decrese elevation respectively.
* To keep the image from being absurdly large, i only did about 2/3rds of the brushes in the example image below.