Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Let's see who hates me first.

  1. #11
      torstan is offline
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,149

    Post

    /runs off to finish writing the tutorial before that list gets stickied.

    Welcome megabyter5. You'll find that quite a few people here make maps for VTTs - so much so that there's even a forum for it. Last months competition was a VTT one so I'd have a look at the entries then go through the Work In Progress posts for the ones you like the style of. Best way to start is to find a map you want to draw and start a thread about it. Even if the first step is only a rough idea or sketch, we'll all chip in with advice to help you get where you are going.
    Fantasy Map Blog | My food illustration
    Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

  2. #12
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    It's a good thing RobA, ravells, and Pyrandon don't get a book icon for each tutorial they do, there would be no room for anything else on their sidebar for their avatars. heh.....

    Ravells has: 6
    Pyrandon has: 3
    RobA has: 8

    These are JUST the ones marked with the tutorial icon! Of course, no one is even close to beating RobA's number of views with his Regional Map tutorial at a whopping 10,100+ views in just over 8 months! pyrandon should feel pretty great about his Eneini: a medieval city tutorial: [Award Winner] Eneini: a medieval city tutorial (in Photoshop) with just over 3000 views also.

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  3. #13
      Karro is offline
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    928

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    It's a good thing RobA, ravells, and Pyrandon don't get a book icon for each tutorial they do, there would be no room for anything else on their sidebar for their avatars. heh.....

    Ravells has: 6
    Pyrandon has: 3
    RobA has: 8

    These are JUST the ones marked with the tutorial icon! Of course, no one is even close to beating RobA's number of views with his Regional Map tutorial at a whopping 10,100+ views in just over 8 months! pyrandon should feel pretty great about his Eneini: a medieval city tutorial: [Award Winner] Eneini: a medieval city tutorial (in Photoshop) with just over 3000 views also.

    Joe
    And you are to be commended for digging these all up! I didn't even know some of those tutorials existed!

  4. #14
      ravells is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    10,901

    Default

    Hey jfrazierjr as you've got the bit between your teeth - if you want to make an ultimate list of tutorials for beginners with a short explanation as to what each tutorial is about, I'll make it a sticky for all our new users - and (if you need encouragement) you can have a tutorial badge for your work. Deal?

  5. #15
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hey jfrazierjr as you've got the bit between your teeth - if you want to make an ultimate list of tutorials for beginners with a short explanation as to what each tutorial is about, I'll make it a sticky for all our new users - and (if you need encouragement) you can have a tutorial badge for your work. Deal?
    While I don't mind doing that (and will over the next day or so), what I would really prefer to see would be a new top level forum with subforums devoted to a few of the more specific software packages. I think that would help quite a bit
    HTML Code:
    +Main
    +Gallery
    +Mapping Resources
    +Mapmaking Discussion & Philosophy (WIP/Critique)
    +Tutorials/How-to's
        +General Mapping techniques
            -Idiots guide to making mountains in any raster image editor or by hand
            -how to get nice looking forests without a lot of work
            -Making ISO mountains?  Make sure your forests have tree trunks, and heres how....
        +Photoshop
            -PS How to make a Regional/World map
            -PS How to make a Nice City map in PS
        +GIMP
            -GIMP Mountains made easy
            -Making nice map tree's in GIMP
        +Campaign Cartographer
            -Baz's super great CC Dungeon map Tutorial 
        +Other/Generic or multiple software tutorials
            -Using Inkscape and GIMP to make a foo style map
        +Hand Draw Maps
            -Bar's ultimate guide to totally hand drawn maps

    Something like that.

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  6. #16
      wacko76 is offline
    Guild Applicant
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hey jfrazierjr as you've got the bit between your teeth - if you want to make an ultimate list of tutorials for beginners with a short explanation as to what each tutorial is about, I'll make it a sticky for all our new users - and (if you need encouragement) you can have a tutorial badge for your work. Deal?
    Uh, yes, jfrazierjr (what a nick, took me 5 mins to type it correctly) please do it. I'll be your personal slave.* Pretty please?





















    * Applies only in the Republic of Mars, from Feb 29th, 2007, 23:59 till March, 1st, 00:00, 2007.

  7. #17
      ravells is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    10,901

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    While I don't mind doing that (and will over the next day or so), what I would really prefer to see would be a new top level forum with subforums devoted to a few of the more specific software packages. I think that would help quite a bit
    HTML Code:
    +Main
    +Gallery
    +Mapping Resources
    +Mapmaking Discussion & Philosophy (WIP/Critique)
    +Tutorials/How-to's
        +General Mapping techniques
            -Idiots guide to making mountains in any raster image editor or by hand
            -how to get nice looking forests without a lot of work
            -Making ISO mountains?  Make sure your forests have tree trunks, and heres how....
        +Photoshop
            -PS How to make a Regional/World map
            -PS How to make a Nice City map in PS
        +GIMP
            -GIMP Mountains made easy
            -Making nice map tree's in GIMP
        +Campaign Cartographer
            -Baz's super great CC Dungeon map Tutorial 
        +Other/Generic or multiple software tutorials
            -Using Inkscape and GIMP to make a foo style map
        +Hand Draw Maps
            -Bar's ultimate guide to totally hand drawn maps
    Something like that.

    Joe
    Make the post and then let's talk

    Bear in mind that we do try to keep the site software agnostic.

  8. #18
      Robbie is offline
    Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    2,784
    Blog Entries
    5

    Post

    We actually used to have forums broken out for specific software like that, but it was quite counter-intuitive, and didn't really promote mapping across the board...that was before we had all this activity we have now though. I'll put it up for discussion in the CL forum though so we can hash it out.
    Robbie Powell - Site Admin

  9. #19
      Ascension is offline
    Community Leader Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    8,216

    Post

    Maybe just the tutorials section be broken down by software like jfraz said, that way I can see the various things I can do with what I already have and see things that I could do if I had this or that. If all the tuts state at the beginning what software it is for then I guess it's all moot but...

    Anywho, my 2 cents

  10. #20
      RobA is offline
    Administrator RobA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Niagara, Canada
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    I personally like NOT having software specific forums. This way I can see what other software does (that I might not know about) and/or figure out how to achieve the same effect with other (often free/open source) software.

    The techniques are often universal...

    -Rob A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •