Hey Everybody! MapFreak
How is everybody doing? I am excited to be a part of the cartographer's guild. What an awesome community of talented map making men and women. I can't wait to get started learning new cartography skills from you all. All the posts I have seen have been extremely awesome ha.
A little about me...I live in the mid-atlantic area of the US. I went to school for geography specializing in GIS and Land Use Planning. Which just means 90% of my work is acquiring data and the other 10% is actual cartographic work. I generally specialize in energy and land use mapping and stuff like that but I really like the idea of the study of old cartographic practices and trying to merge with the new principles we practice today.
In my free time I like hiking with my dog and going fly fishing for epic fish.
I am working on creating a new website and blog about cartography and mapping interesting stuff. I will let you know when I have that up and running.
But anyway its great to be part of this community. Cheers!
Very cool! I'd love to have some of the physically based knowledge that you have about geography. Glad you're here to help keep us mortals in line with reality!
I agree! I would like to learn how to get data for creating some maps.
Originally Posted by WillyWombat
Something like 90% of data and information comes with an x,y allowing you to throw it onto a map. What I'm looking forward to is a new way to look at cartography. Everybody's work on cartographers guild I have seen so far is not only maps but art. Alot of cool stuff and alot of new practices to learn.
Welcome to the Guild mapfreak! There aren't many of us here who actually have a background in professional cartography so I'm sure you'll have a lot to teach us as well. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.