WIP: Birthright Campaign Map
Greetings to all
After 4 months dedicated to get into my new role as the proud father of a little baby boy, I am now considering luring again some people to a D&D game. I am planning a Birthright campaign set in the fair Principality of Ariya.
I have reproduced the map from the sourcebook in CC3 so that I may prepare thematic maps easily (one map with the political information, another with the Temple holdings only...). I have used a pre-made symbol set: I was not trying to do something really original, just to have a practical tool for the game. The only customisation was some tweaking with the sheet effects settings to adapt them to a map of smaller dimensions and extremely minor post op in the GIMP.
However, not being original does not dispense the map from being at least mildly pleasant to the eye, and I have to admit that I am so far not more than half satisfied with the result, though I have difficulty to pinpoint the issues.
For one I am not totally sure that I used the blur effect properly... but I am not quite sure either what to do to fix it. Some areas are a bit crowded with labels but this will be solved by hiding some depending on which theme is being displayed on a particular version.
For the rest, I have the hope that there are in this noble assembly fellow cartographers wiser than I am in the Art of Mapping who are able and willing to guide me on my quest to perfection (or at least of passable adequacy).
Thank you in advance.
Congrats on the recent arrival! The map looks just fine to me, but I'm looking at it on my iphone. Will take a closer look when I get home to see if I spot anything there.
I've used CC3 as well, but it's been a while so this may not be using the right terminology. My only immediate suggestion would be to fade the text a bit. In PS you could probably just lower the opacity and maybe a slight blur, but I don't remember the exact method in CC3. The text seems to stand out a little too much from the rest of the map. If you can get it to blend in a little more, I think it will help continue the sort of hand-drawn feel.
Thank you for the advice.
I have applied to the text labels a very light blur (0.1) and set their opacity to 70%. I have also changed the color of the glow around the text to match the background colour (it used to be white).
Finally I modified the border between 2 provinces: the border was first crossing the river before starting to follow it a few miles to the south. It did not feel very logical, so now the border follows the river as soon as it encounters it.
Next step will be to add the Guild and Source holdings so I can start using it in game.
Hey, that's nice work. I'm not a huge fan of CC, but a piece like this might make me change my mind...