Thanks a ton for this, Joshua.
I really like the style. It really shows all the different terrain types and elevations. I only have a few comments/requests.
This part of the continent lies at the far north of the world, so the entire upper part (from about Hoftz-Kunn up) should be covered in snow all year round.
I'd rather not have the names of the races on the map, only the names of the kingdoms. I really love the red text, though, so if the kingdom names could be in that font and that color it'd be great. Also, Throndheim is no longer a kingdom, so i'd rather that name doesn't appear on the map.
I just realized by looking at your map that my handwriting sucks. Here are the names of all the places:
- Vasara is the big dragonborn kingdom at the northeast
- - - its capital is called Sva Kihlek (it means "at center" in draconic) (you got that name right)
- - - the other two cities are called Veditoa Qumado ("cold waters") and Skypeak (i think you got those city names right as well)
- Nidavellier is the dwarf kingdom in the mountains just south of Vasara
- - - Hoftz-Kunn is the capital of Nidavellier
- - - the name of the fortress/town/thing in the southwestern mountains is Xanten
- the halfling nation to the west of everything is called Fenrrifort
- - - its capital is called Littleyork (place it anywhere you like within Fenrrifort)
- - - at the eastern edge of Fenrrifort is a village called Finefort
- the main elf kingdom, which occupies the entire east and center of the big forest, is called K'zim
- - - there is a large coastal town (which isn't the capital of K'zim) where the forest river (the one that almost touches the much bigger river to the north) meets the sea; this port-town is called Neresse
- the town in the big northern river (which doesn't have a name on my draft of the map) is called Fallcrest; it belongs to no kingdom, but is rather inhabited by members of all the races and is a sort of safe outpost for adventurers, traders and travellers
- the "town" in the forest (near the river) isn't really a town; it's actually a tiny fortress/dungeon/jail which the humans use to imprison criminals and torture them (even though it lies in elf territory)
- the sea southeast of K'zim is called the Dark Sea
- the sea north of everything is called the Frozen Sea
- the sea west of Fenrrifort is called Wintermist Sea
(more names coming soon; i must rush away from the computer at the moment)
The river at the southeast goes all the way to the coast, effectively separating the rest of the continent from that little piece of land south of the large forest.
The southwest tip of everything, west of the southern mountains, isn't really the end of the continent, but the end of what has been explored. You know how in old world maps made by european sailors a lot of North America was unexplored and so the coastline was suddenly interrupted? If it's not a lot to ask, i'd like that sort of thing, please, perhaps with both sea and land fading into a neutral color (or white or black or whatever works) or whatever effect you prefer.
Thank you once again.