Aradios - First Map
Found this forum about a week ago, read RobA's GIMP tutorial and decided to make a map. First time I have tried this and the first time I have ever used GIMP.
Future improvements I would like to make
- Make the forests look more like forests
- rework the Higlands colour scheme so it is more green (tried doing it but it looked quite horrible)
- Colours scheme for Dresdar to be more desert like
- Place some more features in west so it is not as bland
- Place in political borders
Look at arsheesh's forest tutorial here
Try adding a layer above the highlands filled with a green color and play with layer modes Hue, Hard Light etc. and the opacity.
Try using a desert image as a texture/pattern. Also try adding a bump map to roughen it up a bit.
As for the other two, sounds good. You may also want to try blurring and or feathering the masks on your mountains and forests. The edges are too hard.
Looks pretty good! Could use some blending at the mountain edges as they look to be floating a it at the moment, but nicely done.
Thanks for the tips, looking into them now
Originally Posted by hohum