The Forgotten Realms - Toril
UPDATED: 25 July 2011 -- New Map; Higher-Res Landscape, Coloring
Hello everyone! I'm a long-time lurker but I wanted to share a massive map I'm working on.
It's a 16000x9000 pixel map of Toril (the world upon which the Forgotten Realms exist). I'm a huge D&D buff - so I wanted to get the entirety of the game world looking nice for a wall-mount poster.
Right now, I've got most of the landmass, rivers, and beachhead figured out for all of Toril. I just need to hunker down and bring 60% up to 100% (and also remove artifacts that cause irregular shorelines)
That's the hard part. It's a fine line and I don't want to post many textured screens till I get it just right.
- 15 August 2010 - Project Started; got basic outline completed, utilized blending options for shoreline, rough beaches, etc.
- 16 August 2010 - Height Map is temporary until I have all the rivers updated and other continents added (note: coloring and sea texturing is still on the docket).
- 20 August 2010 - Huge coloring and height map breakthrough. Finally found something I like in a tutorial but made some parts my own.
- 25 August 2010 - Texture methods are more or less finalized. I still need to fine tune the landscape before approaching it. Also, have maps of virtually every continent for authenticity's sake.
- 25 July 2011 - Return to editing the map; updated coloring, biomes, improved texturing on oceans
notes: (waiting to complete rivers and remove artifacts before applying height map and final coloring)
[INDENT]1% Zoom of Toril - 25 July 2011 (1600x900)
If I have a map at 100% size, I will put names in and send it to you