So It's a month and I've come back to this map again for a bit more work.
The displacement map wasn't working as it blurred the image too much. I've changed the orientation of the farmland pattern, adjusted some line weights, stains, and noise frequencies, and added a bit of variation to the scroll.
A few more refinements, I thinned down the lines of the border, adjusted the colour wash a bit, and fixed one of the POI symbols.
I'm fairly happy with it now so unless someone has any suggestions to make or errors to point out, I'll probably call this one done.
What A great look Beautiful ! :)
It has a good medieval vibe to it but the hills look kinda awkward (my own opinion). I might throw those out for the traditional hump-looking things or just leave them out entirely. The really big ones on the left side are the ones I'm talking about - the small ones look better as the lines are spaced out more. All in all, though, I like the vibe.
It's always interesting to see the evolution of a project.
Unfortunately, this is somewhere that the source map is constraining me. It consists of multiple levels and it would be throwing out a lot of information if I didn't represent that in some way. The multiple lines of hachuring is still the best compromise I can think of.
Originally Posted by Ascension
However there were a few problems with the hachuring that bothered me when you drew my attention back to it, so I've tweaked it a bit, and found a better way to structure my path effects in the process (I'm now Pattern Along Path to get perpendiculars, then Sketch to jitter them, then Pattern Along Path to apply the stroke shape)
I also made a few more tweaks to the parchment filter effect.
been a while since I checked on this map; looking really good!
That looks better, not so closely packed.
OK, I'm calling it finished and posted it to the Finished Maps forum: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...World-of-Order