Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Drawing/creating mountain/stone ridges

  1. #11
      SandmanNet is offline
    Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Västerås
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    add me to the jealous list.
    I spent a bit of time looking at your work. It's really good and it made want to dig out my Myst and Riven games. I still might.
    I'd have to agree that your hand drawn work is great and I'm not sure why you need to do it any other way. I would think that the hand drawn look would fit your project better.
    Anyway, nice stuff thanks for posting.
    Well, thanks a lot! Maybe I've underestimated it. I'll think about what you've said.

  2. #12
      Gluhoded is offline
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    60

    Default

    I've played around with bryce a while ago, and I think it might work pretty well for the effect you want to achieve.
    Even the older Bryce version 4 had a simple but rather powerful terrain editor - you can imort gray scale images, edit with a brush, add filters like eroded cliffsides or smoothed out hillsides. very fun to use and very intuitive.

    The down side of this is that it would be comp generated, and a lot less cool than your current hand drawn style.

    Anyway Riven was one of my favourite games, and It was great looking around your site!

  3. #13
      SandmanNet is offline
    Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Västerås
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gluhoded View Post
    I've played around with bryce a while ago, and I think it might work pretty well for the effect you want to achieve.
    Even the older Bryce version 4 had a simple but rather powerful terrain editor - you can imort gray scale images, edit with a brush, add filters like eroded cliffsides or smoothed out hillsides. very fun to use and very intuitive.

    The down side of this is that it would be comp generated, and a lot less cool than your current hand drawn style.

    Anyway Riven was one of my favourite games, and It was great looking around your site!
    I don't know what to say. Looks like I'll have to work on my hand drawn style enough to make myself satisfied with it.

  4. #14
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanNet View Post
    I don't know what to say. Looks like I'll have to work on my hand drawn style enough to make myself satisfied with it.

    Yea... you are real strong on the mountains/rocks. they look superb! The thing is that they are far better detailed than some of the other set dressing such as the roads and bridges/ship. The wood planks need some grundging up, but it's the same with the rest of the walking surfaces. As an example, in http://sandman.net/media/modules/art...IslandMap2.png, the docks and ship need just a bit more attention to make it look like individual planks instead of like a solid color with lines drawn on it to represent planks. It's kind of like you spent 10 hours on the mountain side/cliff faces and then 10 minutes slapping the other elements down. The other elements would be ok IF the mountains were not so detailed in comparison, but then it would not be as great a piece as a whole either.

    I hope this does not come off harsh as I CAN see that you have the skill as demonstrated by the mountain work you have done already.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  5. #15
      SandmanNet is offline
    Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Västerås
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Yea... you are real strong on the mountains/rocks. they look superb! The thing is that they are far better detailed than some of the other set dressing such as the roads and bridges/ship. The wood planks need some grundging up, but it's the same with the rest of the walking surfaces. As an example, in http://sandman.net/media/modules/art...IslandMap2.png, the docks and ship need just a bit more attention to make it look like individual planks instead of like a solid color with lines drawn on it to represent planks. It's kind of like you spent 10 hours on the mountain side/cliff faces and then 10 minutes slapping the other elements down. The other elements would be ok IF the mountains were not so detailed in comparison, but then it would not be as great a piece as a whole either.

    I hope this does not come off harsh as I CAN see that you have the skill as demonstrated by the mountain work you have done already.
    It's not harsh at all, it's really helpful. I had already started to create a photoshop workflow to use some filters and actions to create a computer-generated stone surface (using chiseled bevelling for one thing) and now I may have to redirect my efforts to other parts instead.

    Thanks a lot for your comments!

  6. #16
      arsheesh is offline
    Community Leader arsheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,267

    Default

    I agree with everyone's recommendations to stick with the hand drawn erosion which not only looks nice, but seems to better fit the aesthetic of a personal journal anyway. But what I'd really like to know is why nobody has repped you yet?!? Seriously, I've looked through both the Myst and the Riven journals and they are a real work of art. This is one of the best fan-art projects I've seen. So I guess I have the privilege of being the first to add to your reputation (Yeah +2...) here at the Guild. Anyway, keep up the good work.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

  7. #17
      SandmanNet is offline
    Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Västerås
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I agree with everyone's recommendations to stick with the hand drawn erosion which not only looks nice, but seems to better fit the aesthetic of a personal journal anyway. But what I'd really like to know is why nobody has repped you yet?!? Seriously, I've looked through both the Myst and the Riven journals and they are a real work of art. This is one of the best fan-art projects I've seen. So I guess I have the privilege of being the first to add to your reputation (Yeah +2...) here at the Guild. Anyway, keep up the good work.

    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Why thank you. I don't know what reputation does for me, but any appreciation is nice of course As you can imagine, I'm very new to this forum

  8. #18
    Guild Artisan Greason Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tigard (and Florence) Oregon
    Posts
    725

    Default

    If you're really looking to work with greyscale heightfields and some sort of automatic erosion process, you might want to take a look at a combination of Terragen and Wilbur. Wilbur (http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/wilbur.html) has the erosion processes you might be looking for (Precipitation based and Incise Flow along with other editing features) while Terragen can generate photo-realistic renders of your terrains. I use both fairly frequently, particularly with maps depicting smaller areas.

    GW
    When nothing is going right and you can't find someone else to blame, start beating your head against the wall, 'cause it'll feel so much better when you stop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •