Britannia Version 2
OK, so Larb's Thread has prompted me to finally redo my old map of Britannia (the setting of the Ultima games). This also presents an opportunity to put my new wang tile based stippler to use.
Finally, I've also tossed together a rune font of my own in Fontforge. I printed out some boxes with baselines, wrote each rune about 3 times with a Sharpie (B took several extra), scanned it, traced it, picked the best and loaded it into Fontforge. I don't really know much about typography so it's not the greatest font ever, but it works for me.
So, to start, I traced my old map in QuantumGIS and started making some revisions. In particular I've increased the forest cover, largely inspired by the UO map, and because it just makes more sense to me that way.
Then I used openJUMP to convert to WKT format, and hacked up my stippler to read in the data, put together some placeholder tree and mountain symbols, and set the thing running.
After adjusting the line features slightly in Inkscape, I got this:
There's loads of work still to go, but I think it's a pretty good start.
I shifted the corridors around the rivers, roads, lakes and coastlines downward (half the spacing between the tree or mountain symbols) and increased it slightly so the linear features don't disappear inside a canyon of trees. There are now three different kinds of tree which vary in frequency from region to region, and the coastline now has a nice stipple effect.
More stipples for the lakes, varied tree density, and swamps
Wow. I have no idea about any of the techniques you're using but the results are nice. I did download QuantumGIS out of curiosity a month or so ago but I've not really looked at it at all yet.
Glad you like it. There's a tutorial of sorts on QGIS in this thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-for-using-GIS I still need to finish it, but it should get you started.
Originally Posted by Larb
And now for update number three: A start on grassland symbols, and mountains are now broken into three size classes based on their proximity to the edge of the mountainous region. Outer ones are small and closely spaced, inner ones are big and widely spaced. Getting the right parameters for that was a pain, but I think it's turned out quite nicely. Hopefully it will like even nicer when I make some proper symbols.
So I have this really cool idea for how to do farmland using Voronoi diagrams:
If I give each a negative buffer, and then apply a a randomly rotated parallel lines texture to each, I should have a rather nice effect overall.
It's an interesting effect although it looks a little "shattered glass-y" at the moment. Kind of like that stained glass filter in photoshop.
Here it is with a bit more progress, the field boundaries now mostly follow the line of any linear features that cross the region, they've been given a negative buffer to provide a bit of room between them, and they have a nice plow line pattern to them.
Originally Posted by Larb
Ahh yes, that looks much much better now.
I've given the farmland a bit more variety.