Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My first map try

  1. #11
    Guild Journeyer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    222

    Default

    I think you should make it more clear....
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

  2. #12
      ukie is offline
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    I don't understand that. Did you erase the rivers from the land?
    I guessed you painted them in a separate layer over the land.
    I think your rivers look very good.
    Sorry. What I meant is that The lakes are just "holes" in the land layers and I "erase" the rivers out of them. After that when I do the 1-2 px outline of the contour the lakes look good but the rivers outline is too "sharp".

  3. #13
      jbgibson is offline
    Guild Expert jbgibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukie View Post
    Sorry sometime my English understanding is... how should I put it... thickheaded what do you mean by that?
    Like the rubber stamps used for printing with ink. Or the stone seals used to print signatures in old China. Or the carved potatoes used to print in art class. :-) Moveable type, only with cartographic symbology instead of text. Who's to say that the mappers of another society than ours might just value uniformity of neatly stamped mountain-symbols over our valuation of cleverly uniquely hand-drawn mountains?

  4. #14
    Guild Journeyer Freehand 5.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    KA, GER
    Posts
    196

    Default

    ukie, you could do a separate layer for the rivers. If you have that, you can soften the edges, redo color or reposition parts anytime as you please.
    Do you know how to do that?

  5. #15
      ukie is offline
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Like the rubber stamps used for printing with ink. Or the stone seals used to print signatures in old China. Or the carved potatoes used to print in art class. :-) Moveable type, only with cartographic symbology instead of text. Who's to say that the mappers of another society than ours might just value uniformity of neatly stamped mountain-symbols over our valuation of cleverly uniquely hand-drawn mountains?
    Gotchya thanks for the tip!

  6. #16
      ukie is offline
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    ukie, you could do a separate layer for the rivers. If you have that, you can soften the edges, redo color or reposition parts anytime as you please.
    Do you know how to do that?
    Funny you mentioned it. I just started having problems with it. I did some free transformation and now when I Ctrl left click on the layer of landmass and do Select>Modify>Smooth This is what happens:

    My first map try-untitled-2.png

    To make things even worse now all the brushes are acting weird (painting beyond the selected boarder and in general creating havoc. Spend 3 hours trying to figure out what's going on and... nada. Any ideas?

  7. #17
      ukie is offline
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Another try in different style

    My first map try-northern-lands.png

  8. #18
    Guild Journeyer Freehand 5.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    KA, GER
    Posts
    196

    Default

    I like that last one. How did you do that?

    The black Typeface is nice. But I wouldn't kombine the 3D-effect with an outline.
    The ocean labels dont need an outline. The white outline is kind of hard. An outline in the lightest color of the background would be more pleasant (e.g. light grey in the mountains, light green in the woods etc.).

  9. #19
      ukie is offline
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    I like that last one. How did you do that?
    Ascension technique mostly but with couple of personal twists like higher and more defined mountain ranges and also colored climate zones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    The black Typeface is nice. But I wouldn't kombine the 3D-effect with an outline.
    The ocean labels dont need an outline. The white outline is kind of hard. An outline in the lightest color of the background would be more pleasant (e.g. light grey in the mountains, light green in the woods etc.).
    Good to know I'm still experimenting with labels and text curve.

  10. #20
      ukie is offline
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Also a follow up question. Do you guys like these labels or not so much?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •