Republic of Virginia
Well, dusted off CC3 and decided to get back to some mapping; this time the Republic of Virginia for my Savaged! New World campaign.
Notations of what I've done so far:
1) I'm very happy with the way the ocean and its various fills has turned out.
2) I'm pretty happy with the forest and settlement symbols...sort of a water color type look.
3) I need to work on the background texture for the land. I need to find something that complements the water color feel of the current symbols.
4) Something, not sure what, seems to be lacking with the rivers.
The next steps for this map are as follows:
1) Label the current settlements, need to pick a good font for this.
2) My toughest quest...find mountain symbols that suit the map and combine well with the land color. I'm willing to tweak the land color if needed.
3) Label various regions, oceans, mountains, etc.
I look forward to all comments, suggestions, critiques, etc.
perhaps the rivers need the width to vary, start with them narrower and have them get wider as they flow and collect more water,,,some type of bank to them would be nice too. SeerBlue
Looks good so far.
A glow on the Rivers would be nice, as well as a slight blur effect on the water sheet to eliminate the Harsh fill style there.
Well, did some tweaking and took some of the comments into consideration; I also think I've settled on a mountain style...typically my biggest stumbling block. More comments and suggestions if you please...more work to come.
I like those mountains a lot. I've been pondering ISO mountains but have never seen anything I really like until now. Good job.
I'm sorry to say I don't think those mountains fit very well with the rest of the map... it feels somewhat out of place.
I have to say I agree. For one, they blend in a lot with the land color so if I had not seen something to suggest what they were in previous posts, I would not know they are mountains. Second, see my sig for my opinion on another topic concerning ISO mountains...
Originally Posted by A. Smith
Mountains are always the primary thing I struggle with when creating maps...so much so that I often abandon a map because of it. I'm using CC3 and would be open to any suggest on a mountain style that's better suited to the map I'm creating. I'm using stuff from here and there to create my own look and feel so I'm pretty much a blank canvas.
Here's todays latest incarnation...lightened up the background a bit and used the "outline" on the symbols to sharpen them a bit. Still need to tweak the background color I think, but it's closer. Next step will be to add in the roads, text and finish off the vegetation.
I like those mountains even more, fit much better with the trees. Dig the lil towns as well, I never have the patience to do up some of my own.