Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Skandinavia in 1368

  1. #21
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leipzig/Berlin
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    So they all get a kind of City/settlement symbol?

  2. #22
      - Max - is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor - Max -'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    yep I guess placing capitals and main cities/towns will be ok on this kind of map.

  3. #23
      thamupp is offline
    Guild Member thamupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    So they all get a kind of City/settlement symbol?
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    yep I guess placing capitals and main cities/towns will be ok on this kind of map.
    I want to keep the map at least somewhat historically accurate (adding heraldry hasn't helped with that) and just figuring out if a town existed is time consuming enough, figuring out it's size would just not be possible for me.

    Anyways, here's just something I'm throwing out there before heading to bed. What do you think of colorless ocean with more distinguished land borders? It would have to be done more properly of course. I'm already thinking of experimenting with something like adding 'waves' on the coast.

    Skandinavia in 1368-nooceancolor.jpg

  4. #24
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    vorropohaiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    35.921568 N,14.480068 E
    Posts
    922

    Default

    i dont think there's any need for wavelines on this type of map. though you can always try them out and see what you like.

    the map's looking lovely, though theres one thing im having trouble with - the font on the two cartouches - its too calligraphic, why not just use the same font to the map itself? or at least something similar

  5. #25
    Guild Artisan Jacktannery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
    Anyways, here's just something I'm throwing out there before heading to bed. What do you think of colorless ocean with more distinguished land borders? It would have to be done more properly of course.
    I prefer the look of the map with colourless ocean - it looks more classy for some reason.

  6. #26
      thamupp is offline
    Guild Member thamupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    the map's looking lovely, though theres one thing im having trouble with - the font on the two cartouches - its too calligraphic, why not just use the same font to the map itself? or at least something similar
    Hmm, well, actually this was exactly the thing that I was talking about a bit earlier in the thread, but since noone else has mentioned it it though maybe it was just me imagining things. But I'm a bit confused, do you mean that I should change the country-name font or the cartouche font?

  7. #27
      - Max - is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor - Max -'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    I guess that would mean changing the cartouches font, which probably make it more consistent.

  8. #28
      thamupp is offline
    Guild Member thamupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    I prefer the look of the map with colourless ocean - it looks more classy for some reason.
    I'm looking into it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I guess that would mean changing the cartouches font, which probably make it more consistent.
    Hmm, yes. But I don't know if I can make it "fancy" like it is now with a more plain font.
    Skandinavia in 1368-fancy.jpg

    And on a completely unrelated note, is this the worlds coolest looking coast?
    Skandinavia in 1368-soocool.jpg
    vorropohaiah likes this.

  9. #29
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    vorropohaiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    35.921568 N,14.480068 E
    Posts
    922

    Default

    yeah, i think changing the cartouche label font would be best, and regarding the title, i'm sure you can find something here: Gothic > Medieval fonts | dafont.com

  10. #30
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leipzig/Berlin
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    I completely disagree with the other two, there are plenty of Maps (18-20. Century) that uses Special fonts for the cartuches and the title. Unifying the fonts are Not always resulting in a more legit map. It depends in which century he wants the map to simulate it was done. For a 14. Century origin its too clean anyway, Looks more like a 19. C historical map.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •