Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Steampunk-ish political watercolor map

  1. #11
      - Max - is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor - Max -'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Same here but it's an invalid link attachment

  2. #12
      Lingon is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Lingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    761

    Default

    I guess it was the server problem yesterday, then. But there was nothing on yesterday's WIP that you can't see on today's
    Steampunk-ish political watercolor map-steampunk4.jpg

    I began painting the mountains here, the southern range, and… I don't know if it looks ok or if I hate it. I mean, it looks sort of like it did in my head, except it's ugly I don't know if I can save it either, or if I'll have to print one of my scans and restart the coloring. My printer can't handle A3 paper, and not heavy aquarelle paper either, but it's maybe the best option still. Does anyone have an idea of how to improve the mountains, or should I start over?
    priggs, Chashio and Diamond like this.

  3. #13
      priggs is offline
    Guild Member priggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    51

    Default

    That looks really good. Nice smooth color with texture.

    For ideas on mountains, here are two:
    Erwin Raisz mountain symobls

    Heather Child mountain symbols

    The current symbols seem to be the hairy caterpillar style seen in the Heather Child symbols. If you want to get really into this, see Cartographic Relief Presentation by Eduard Imhof
    Chashio likes this.
    Philip Riggs
    Decorative-Maps.com

  4. #14
      Chashio is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Chashio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    823

    Default

    One question, because I'm not sure, and I like asking questions... would a steam engine produce a black cloud or a white cloud, or does it depend on the cleanliness of the pipes?

    I like the colors and the shadings on the mountains. You might look at Google's satellite map imagery of Iceland for more ideas too, if you're not convinced of the direction you're going. I was running into a similar feel with the inktense map I started not so long ago. Part of it, I learned, is adjusting the contrasts, light and shading so that not all of the rivers and streams appear to be the same depth within their respective watersheds, and the hills between them don't all look to be the same shape and height. If that makes sense

  5. #15
      Diamond is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SF,CA,USA
    Posts
    2,820

    Default

    I actually like those mountains just the way they are. I may have to steal your technique...
    "I like a look of agony, because I know it's true."

    -Emily Dickinson

  6. #16
      Lingon is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Lingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by priggs View Post
    That looks really good. Nice smooth color with texture.

    For ideas on mountains, here are two:
    Erwin Raisz mountain symobls

    Heather Child mountain symbols

    The current symbols seem to be the hairy caterpillar style seen in the Heather Child symbols. If you want to get really into this, see Cartographic Relief Presentation by Eduard Imhof
    Thanks, glad you like it. Interesting links too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    One question, because I'm not sure, and I like asking questions... would a steam engine produce a black cloud or a white cloud, or does it depend on the cleanliness of the pipes?

    I like the colors and the shadings on the mountains. You might look at Google's satellite map imagery of Iceland for more ideas too, if you're not convinced of the direction you're going. I was running into a similar feel with the inktense map I started not so long ago. Part of it, I learned, is adjusting the contrasts, light and shading so that not all of the rivers and streams appear to be the same depth within their respective watersheds, and the hills between them don't all look to be the same shape and height. If that makes sense
    I'll pretend I'm smart and try to answer the steam engine question: It'd give both white steam and black smoke, as coal is burned to boil the water. Actually, maybe I should add some white streaks in the cloud to show that?

    Thanks for your thoughts on the mountains, very helpful and encouraging I've taken a look at Iceland, and Norway and Himalaya as well when I was at it. Google Maps might be the second best thing to use the Internet for (after discussing nerdy things on friendly forums). Mountains can look really strange from above… Anyway, I'll work some more on the contrast and variation. Thanks again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I actually like those mountains just the way they are. I may have to steal your technique...
    That'd make me very happy


    So, to summarize: Thanks, all of you, for convincing me to not start over
    priggs likes this.

  7. #17
      jturner is offline
    Guild Apprentice jturner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Wow. This is beautiful. Usually Photoshop-users want to achieve a watercolour effect, but you've managed to use watercolours to achieve a Photoshop effect! (That's meant to be a compliment, by the way )
    priggs likes this.

  8. #18
      Chashio is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Chashio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    I'll pretend I'm smart and try to answer the steam engine question: It'd give both white steam and black smoke, as coal is burned to boil the water. Actually, maybe I should add some white streaks in the cloud to show that?
    haha, thanks for the answer I'd not add white, myself. Maybe leave it alone for now and if you think it needs it when everything is near completion, add it then.

  9. #19
      Lingon is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Lingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    761

    Default

    @Jturner
    Thank you! Interesting thought

    @Chashio
    Yup, good call. I'll focus on the actual map before the smoke!


    And speaking of the map… I know I said I was going to keep the caterpillar mountains, but when I began painting the second mountain chain and just laid down some darker grey-brown to give a bit of pre-shading before the details, I realized that maybe no details are needed. So I finished the second chain in the most simple way possible, and it looked like I wanted it to from the start without knowing it – or, well, it felt like that anyway. And I just had to have the first chain in the same style, so I ripped a piece of paper from a new sheet and glued this over the fat southern peninsula, and redid it. This is when I see the benefits of painting digitally… But the extremely simple mountain style is really fast, so I finished the whole surgery today. It did give an ugly scar though (this metaphor is completely improvised as I type, promise) and first I thought I had ruined the map completely. FUBAR. But then I saw that the edge of the glued-down piece actually made a rather nice shelf for the coast, so I tried to copy the look of that along the other coast as well. Now, I don't know if shelves could be mapped in the 19th century, but, you know, steampunk!
    Steampunk-ish political watercolor map-steampunk5.jpg
    Chashio likes this.

  10. #20
      Chashio is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Chashio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Love it! Next you'll have to try a torn paper elevation map in watercolor. Could be interesting. Could be wonderful.

    I have been curious about something else... did someone sit on your scanner cover? because there's that odd, darker, sort of fuzzy patch in the middle there, and it's rather distracting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •