Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Straylands: Cry of Eskalion

  1. #1
      Irbis is offline
    Guild Novice Irbis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Weirdlands
    Posts
    20

    Wip Straylands: Cry of Eskalion

    Overview:
    I am developing a video game. A fantasy/RPG one. A very open-ended. Which means it has a main plot/quest, but kind a Elder Scrolls style. So 80% of them gameplay circles not about player finishing the game but about exploration, adventures and traveling. So now i am making a overworld map for S:CoE. This is a huuuuge Work In Progress and many things will change on the way. Because the game is a commercial project i won't be posting the whole map, but it's parts. It's also the first time i am making a fantasy map from scratch.

    Whats done:
    -water, oceans
    -land shape
    -forest
    -mountains
    -basic coloring

    Whats NOT done:
    -rivers
    -roads
    -swamps [DONE]
    -deserts [DONE]
    -final coloring
    -details

    Screenshots:
    14th November 2013
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-tdx4qj2.png

    15Th November 2013
    1.
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-exzqdya.jpg
    Mountains almost finished.

    2.
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-v3sesrs.jpg
    And desert/wasteland region.

    3.
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-rcjszpz.jpg
    And Swampland

    16 November
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-q7lbfpl.jpg
    New world region - Deadlands (undeads, demons, evil monsters - you name - they live here.
    Last edited by Irbis; 11-16-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    Diamond likes this.

  2. #2
    Guild Artisan eViLe_eAgLe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    905

    Default

    It looks good, my only qualm is that the swampland looks extremely busy to me, too much so.

  3. #3
      feanaaro is offline
    Guild Adept
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Rome, Italy - New York, USA
    Posts
    412

    Default

    It looks good, although to my taste is over-saturated, even for a video game.

  4. #4
      Lingon is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Lingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    850

    Default

    This is really nice! I think the contrast is a bit too high, and the colors a bit too strong, but I guess that's a question of taste Good job on the coastline and the textures. Howeve,r I think the swamp needs some more work to come across as a swamp – look at satellite pictures of swamps, and you'll see that there's a lot more water. Rivers and lakes everywhere.

  5. #5
      Irbis is offline
    Guild Novice Irbis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Weirdlands
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    This is really nice! I think the contrast is a bit too high, and the colors a bit too strong, but I guess that's a question of taste Good job on the coastline and the textures. Howeve,r I think the swamp needs some more work to come across as a swamp – look at satellite pictures of swamps, and you'll see that there's a lot more water. Rivers and lakes everywhere.
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-kcadmvl.jpg

    I had problems with swamps. I mean, desert is obvious, forest too, hills are hills, but swamps? And the swamps i've seen thru Google Earth doesn't look like swamps at all lol. So i thought about thing.

    As for saturation and contrast - well i like it. The game supposed to have kind a HoM&M3 style. Take a look.
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-heroes-might-magic-iii-screenshot1.jpg

    Its a very unique mix of fairytale and realistic. I like it. And i am fishing for "nostalgy factor".
    Remember guys. The thing you see is not just a map you print and hang on your wall. It'll be interactive and animated. Sea waves, wind, moving trees, rain. For a print i will decrease the saturation - of course.

  6. #6
      Irbis is offline
    Guild Novice Irbis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Weirdlands
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    This is really nice! I think the contrast is a bit too high, and the colors a bit too strong, but I guess that's a question of taste Good job on the coastline and the textures. Howeve,r I think the swamp needs some more work to come across as a swamp – look at satellite pictures of swamps, and you'll see that there's a lot more water. Rivers and lakes everywhere.
    How about now?
    Straylands: Cry of Eskalion-ajomz2q.jpg
    Diamond and Lingon like this.

  7. #7
      Diamond is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor
    Facebook Connected
    Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SF,CA,USA
    Posts
    3,055

    Default

    I guess I'm in the minority in that I like the vivid colors and saturation. It's immediately obvious what each terrain type is - everything's clear and works well together. I had my doubts about the swamp, but that latest version is great.

    Special shout-out for that Evil Volcanic Land - epic looking.
    Irbis likes this.
    "I like a look of agony, because I know it's true."

    -Emily Dickinson

  8. #8
      Irbis is offline
    Guild Novice Irbis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Weirdlands
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority in that I like the vivid colors and saturation. It's immediately obvious what each terrain type is - everything's clear and works well together. I had my doubts about the swamp, but that latest version is great.

    Special shout-out for that Evil Volcanic Land - epic looking.
    THANK YOU!!! Actually thats exactly the reason for the high saturation. I want the player to always know what kind of terrain he is encountering (which is very impportand because diffrent terrain types has diffrent interactions. E.g in forest you can forage for herbs, in snowy mountains you losss your stamina faster, etc)

    Thank you for the Evil Lands! I wasn't sure will it blend well. I still have to work on it a bit more. To my taste its not enough "dark and evil" hehe. I want the player to know that "You'll asking for troubles going here".

    I am working currently on rivers and i must say i am not very happy with the outcome. They look just so artificial =\
    And i don't want to use the ocean texture/blending because thats a totaly diffrent pair of shoes.

    Anybody knows a good tutorial for Rivers? (Style of rivers, not shape)

  9. #9
    Guild Artisan eViLe_eAgLe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    THANK YOU!!! Actually thats exactly the reason for the high saturation. I want the player to always know what kind of terrain he is encountering (which is very impportand because diffrent terrain types has diffrent interactions. E.g in forest you can forage for herbs, in snowy mountains you losss your stamina faster, etc)

    Thank you for the Evil Lands! I wasn't sure will it blend well. I still have to work on it a bit more. To my taste its not enough "dark and evil" hehe. I want the player to know that "You'll asking for troubles going here".

    I am working currently on rivers and i must say i am not very happy with the outcome. They look just so artificial =\
    And i don't want to use the ocean texture/blending because thats a totaly diffrent pair of shoes.

    Anybody knows a good tutorial for Rivers? (Style of rivers, not shape)
    Wow, just saw the evil lands actually. They look really great, amazing job on the Volcano.
    As for the rivers, I think it's just a matter of experimenting so in that factor i'm not very helpful.
    Irbis likes this.

  10. #10
      Lingon is offline
    Guild Artisan Gracious Donor Lingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Great improvement on the swamp! Deadlands are looking awesome too. For the rivers, could you do them the same way as the lakes maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •