Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Designing a map for a fantsy kingdom, have a look!

  1. #11
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Sure, if you aren't so concerned about whether people read it. As I said, writing it is half the fun; having people read it (and like it) is the other half! The traditional publication format is the best way for that to happen, but I think generally that doesn't happen unless you're actually a hair better than everything else.

    Anyway, that's aside, and a worry for another day. Now back to your regularly scheduled cartographic programming.
    Writing is all the fun I think. It's almost impossible to earn any money. As a beginning novelist you shouldn't expect to receive more than a dollar for every book sold. You would need to sell many books to make a living out of it.

    One of these days I am going to send my stuff to some publishers however. One of these days
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

  2. #12
      Karro is offline
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    928

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Writing is all the fun I think. It's almost impossible to earn any money. As a beginning novelist you shouldn't expect to receive more than a dollar for every book sold. You would need to sell many books to make a living out of it.

    One of these days I am going to send my stuff to some publishers however. One of these days
    Since I was a wee lad, I've always gotten a certain thrill when someone read what I wrote and liked it. As I said, getting paid would be gravy, but I'd love for more people to read what I wrote and like it... One of these days I'll have finished some of my stuff, then I'll bea able to decide whether it's good enough to think about what to do with it. My wife is having doubts that I'll finish, and I keep saying "Once I finish my map, then I'll be in the right frame of mind to start writing!"
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

    Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

    Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

  3. #13
      Sigurd is offline
    Guild Artisan Sigurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    880

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Since I was a wee lad, I've always gotten a certain thrill when someone read what I wrote and liked it. As I said, getting paid would be gravy, but I'd love for more people to read what I wrote and like it... One of these days I'll have finished some of my stuff, then I'll bea able to decide whether it's good enough to think about what to do with it. My wife is having doubts that I'll finish, and I keep saying "Once I finish my map, then I'll be in the right frame of mind to start writing!"

    So you're 'full of crap' like I am . Welcome to the board!


    Sigurd


    Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

    --- Sigurd

  4. #14
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    So you're 'full of crap' like I am .
    Haha, very funny

    Anyway, it's one of the reasons I can't allow myself to map at the moment. I need to get some writing done. All I was doing was mapping stuff, lol...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

  5. #15
      Karro is offline
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    928

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    So you're 'full of crap' like I am . Welcome to the board!


    Sigurd
    I'd say thanks, but I've been here almost a year. I believe the good welcome goes to t_S (who's friend apparently is also writing a book).

    My wife, by the way, agrees with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf
    Anyway, it's one of the reasons I can't allow myself to map at the moment. I need to get some writing done. All I was doing was mapping stuff, lol...
    My wife tells me I should do the same. But I keep thinking "how can I show the true depth of my characters if I don't fully understand the world in which they interact?" Chicken or egg, I guess...

    [/threadjack]
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

    Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

    Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

  6. #16
      Ramah is offline
    Guild Expert Ramah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    1,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    But I keep thinking "how can I show the true depth of my characters if I don't fully understand the world in which they interact?" Chicken or egg, I guess...
    I'm pretty much the same. I've written about 45k words so far in my most recent endeavour and it was becoming harder and harder to wrench the story out. I realised that much of my problem was due to me not knowing enough about the world they were playing in. I had a character turn to the south at one point and he was supposed to be internally visualising what lay in that direction between him and a certain town. But it occurred to me I knew absolutely nothing of the land around there, or even about the town other than its name. I attempted to just fudge over it but it became apparent that I was doing it more and more and I was getting less happy about it.
    Just working on my map is already suggesting certain plot points to me, which is pretty cool. I equate it to knowing your characters (which is basically what the land is, another character) - if all you know about your character is a name, height and hair colour then you are going to struggle to give them a personality and they won't be able to help shape your story based on what you know about how they would react to a given situation.
    I've already spent far longer away from the writing than I wished to (I expected a map would take me a few days to a week ) but I am confident that in the long run I will be thankful for the time spent.

  7. #17
      Gandwarf is offline
    Community Leader Gandwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    Really guys... you are dragging me back into evil.
    I just starting downloading Campaign Cartographer 3 to my new computer. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo....
    My wife is gonna kill me as soon as she sees me plopping down houses in City Designer 3.

    [/threadjack]
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

    Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

  8. #18
    t_S
      t_S is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5

    Post

    Thanks to all of you that have replied to my thread!

    For those who're saying that the mountains don't fit with the rest of the map - I completely agree! As I've mentioned already, I plan on redrawing all of the mountains in a bit of a fountain pen style (with shading), possibly the coastline as well.

    It's still a pretty big WIP, as none of the locations are definite - once they are, I'll more than likely ditch the font and write/scan the names in myself for a much more authentic look.

  9. #19
      Karro is offline
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    928

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by t_S View Post
    Thanks to all of you that have replied to my thread!

    For those who're saying that the mountains don't fit with the rest of the map - I completely agree! As I've mentioned already, I plan on redrawing all of the mountains in a bit of a fountain pen style (with shading), possibly the coastline as well.

    It's still a pretty big WIP, as none of the locations are definite - once they are, I'll more than likely ditch the font and write/scan the names in myself for a much more authentic look.
    Wow. That'll take some dedication! Good luck!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

    Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

    Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

  10. #20
    t_S
      t_S is offline
    Guild Novice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    -snip-

    I'll move the updated image to the next page.
    Last edited by t_S; 04-22-2009 at 07:01 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •