Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Hi Venardhi

The idea is eventually to map an entire rpg world, thats the "thinking big" idea, but thats the future. At the moment we have isolated a local region of a world so that we can collaboratively map it, using our own styles but maintaining continuity of features based on the map at the top of the thread.

After this stage there will be options to map either the unmapped regional areas, or to zoom in and to begin mapping on a more local scale things that appear in existing maps, not necessarily ones that you did.

Welcome on board, 18 is yours. It seems logical to include 17 and 23 too, as these dont have much land. Whenmapping you will need to collaborate with those mapping neighbouring plots, which at this stage inlcudes su liam and myself, so that things like roads and rivers meet up in the right places. Please see Neonknight's river map of the region also inthis thread.

Torq
    Last edited by Torq; 04-01-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Sounds good, and is there a higher resolution version of the map out there or can I somewhat fudge the coastline?

Neon posted the Fractal Terrains file in the thread "thinking big about guild maps". If you have FT you can get it straight from the horse's mouth as it were. If not dont worry about a bit of fudging. Try and keep to the shape as much as possible though.

Torq

So we dont end up creating a whole lot of small, square, self-contained kingdoms, does anyone have any general cultural ideas, regional histories or other stuff of a general nature that jumps out at them from the map. We are not writing backstory but a few things might help with continuity between the maps.

Torq

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    ...running the water level up to find areas that would "pool" and be contained when rivers run into them.
    I have done a demo of this in the past - this one is filling it up to a predetermined height though if set slightly differently to keep going it would overflow and cut an erosion channel and drain it out. The other prog I know can do it is GeoControl. I expect there are others tho.

On the terrain front, I will probably slightly modify the coastline. We don't have a depth below sea (bathymetry) which I will be manually making otherwise my sea will evaporate (!???) and this is likely to alter the coast slightly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FillingLake.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	2938  

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    So we dont end up creating a whole lot of small, square, self-contained kingdoms, does anyone have any general cultural ideas, regional histories or other stuff of a general nature that jumps out at them from the map. We are not writing backstory but a few things might help with continuity between the maps.

Torq
    Perhaps just breaking it into countries/kingdoms/whatnot and then allowing those groups to talk amongst themselves as far as where they would like to see their countries go.

I threw something together (just because I'm silly like that) though:

I imagine the northern territories(Brinsmerd and Lingemerd on my map) would be expectantly miserable and claimed mostly out of spite for the others rather than for viable farmland. A strong people, but wary, defensive and suspicious, cautious to take any gambles that might threaten what little they have. The richest would be those on the west(Shegral and Akron), the stronger militarily but oft bickering amongst themselves for their rich and fertile lands, grown more and more prone to high culture and swaggering. Saber rattling and not much more. The coastal regions(Orvaelos and Bruskos) would be wealthy, but not as strong as the western powers, relying mostly on their more advanced industry and the highly prosperous civilian trade fleets(as well as a strong military showing at the borders and on sea) to keep would-be land-grabbers at bay. Inland would be the poorer lands(mostly Groam, thanks to mountains protecting Orvaelos and much of the Brinsmerd border), threatened by an ever-growing sickness upon the land and the creatures and people upon it. Much military might is spent simply keeping it at bay, the only consolation being that no one much wants the responsibility of containing it so they don't have to watch their backs. Naturally this breeds a hard and bitter people, the strongest in the land to hear them tell of it.

Name:	irshtirlands.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	2939  

i'll take number 5. i'm seeing a dwarven stronghold in the mountains, and human settlements in the valleys, precious metals maybe, and perhaps a combined human dwarf city where a lot of trading goes on.

let me know if this is acceptable to all. i'll take 4 and 5 if we can have more than one zone.

Cool Terrainmonkey, 5 is yours. If you dont mind maybe we can wait to see how this gets picked up before you take 4 as well. It is a very viable mapping region and someone might like it. I personally dont have any objections to you taking 5 too on the other hand. I suppose anyone who has an objection can always raise it on this thread. We can always open up more blocks if interest is high. Maybe start with 4 and if we hear nothing in a day or so take 4 too. Great to have you onboard.

Venardhi, I love your stuff. Thats just what I had in mind in terms of some general ideas. I dont know what everyone else thinks, but my area is completely withinin Groam to me now, and I'm now thinking in Groam terms, plague creeping from the East, man I cant wait to start.

Torq

Here is a map showing the areas that have been picked for mapping. If you haven't yet chosen one now is your chance. Dont be shy, just becasue you're new around here, I assure you you will enjoy the experience.

Torq

Name:	map1a.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	2943  

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Here is a map showing the areas that have been picked for mapping. If you haven't yet chosen one now is your chance. Dont be shy, just becasue you're new around here, I assure you you will enjoy the experience.

Torq
    You forgot my areas 21, 22, and 24
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast