Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No prob, man. Just here to help
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I've gone through the tutorial a few more times and the brush strokes still seem to show up. They make their appearance after copying "Ocean" and making "Land". When I apply the lighting affect they become very prominent. I thought it would just be me clicking int he same spot a few times when trying to get my land mass how I want it but it seems even long held down brush strokes create the problem.

Any ideas?

All right, got it. After much experimenting I finally got it just like what you show. What I did was to take a hard round brush tip, then scale it up to 300...when I then paint it leaves the rings. What you need is the airbrush tip and not a hard round tip set to airbrush in the brush control panel. Use the Airbrush Soft Round 300 tip (or 100 or whatever). Just clicking on the airbrush button in the brush control panel does not give it an airbrush quality.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Ah it must have been the hard round that was doing it to me because I tried it with airbrush both on and off. Thanks a ton Ascension ^^ Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

--edit--

That was definitely it ^^ Just went through and did one that's much better I think. I also realized I had the lighting for the hills set up incorrectly and the color is much better this time around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isoph-4.png 
Views:	386 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	11893  
    Last edited by Chadwick; 03-30-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Now yer cookin, looks great. Glad I could actually find the problem and fix it and help someone out following my lead...I'd hate to lead someone down the wrong path. Good luck, mate, and keep up the nice work.

Tutorial Tutorial in PDF Format

Hello, All.

Here is Ascension's wonderful tutorial repackaged as a PDF document.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Making an Atlas Style Map in Photoshop.pdf 
Views:	6494 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	11961
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Thanks, V. Glad you're doing this, it's very helpful.

Hmm, I have a very hard time following the tutorial. I seem to be doing fine, but when I get to the picture at step 22, it looks absolutely nothing like what Ascensions tutorial shows (see attachment). I figure it might already be going wrong at step 11, but I'm not sure. I like the tutorial, I just can't seem to get it right :/
    Is there a crucial step or detail I might be missing?

(Also, ignore the weird island-shape, I'm just trying to figure out how it works )

EDIT: Alright I seem to have found my problem. When you start to add colour, I first selected the base layer, so all further layer styles were applied to that layer, instead of to the land layer.

EDIT 2: Another try. I'm not very fond of the outcome, there are some areas definitely needing improvement. However, I can see myself using some of these techniques on future maps, especially to throw in some texturing on my (normally) handdrawn and -painted maps.
    Thank you for the tutorial, Ascension

Name:	asc tut screeny.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	12035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09-04-04 ascension tut map small.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	12037  
    Last edited by Sirith; 04-04-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Sorry I couldn't get back to ya sooner there Sirith, I work at my biz every day, half days on weekends, so I am usually indisposed until the afternoons/evenings. I'm glad you were able to mend it and if you have any further questions just ask

Hate to dig this up and bother you, but I'm screwing up somewhere around step 19 in your tutorial.

(First time poster, total PS newbie, I found this thread through another site; great tutorial and method!)

It says to apply the same lighting effects to the hill and land layer...well, when I do this, I get an image that's WAY darker than your example, or anyone else's. The color is correct without the lighting render, but then the texture obviously wrong.

What's the newbie doing wrong?

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	629.2 KB 
ID:	12399  

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast