Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palazzo di Valenea

Default Palazzo di Valenea

Figuring that my PS skills didn't help me creating pretty floorplans, I decided to give it an old-school try and draw my map manually. No rulers were harmed in the production of this map since I wanted to create this slightly awry look.

This floorplan shows a baron's palazzo in a somewhat mediterranean environment. It features an entry hall with two big stairs (yes I noticed the missing black on the right stair and already fixed it, just didn't manage to scan it yet). To the left is the audience room with two conference rooms, to the right are the rooms of the baron's high secretary. Also included are a private shrine with adjoining rooms for the priest and his servants (right) and servants' quarters (left). On the top are the kitchen (left), the big dining hall (middle) and the parlour plus music room. Oh, and it has an atrium in the middle. I just love them! One special feature of this palazzo are the many hidden spaces, corridors and stairs. The owner's simply a bit paranoid. The palazzo also features a basement, a first floor and a tower. I'll upload them later, maybe.

Since this is my first drawn map, I'd really like some comments on what to improve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pianoterra.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	25467  
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Cool stuff. Is the atrium open to the sky (using skylights or something like that? The reason I ask is to make sure that there is plenty of room for the big stairs in front to have room on the second floor. Ignore this if that is already covered....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yes it is. Simply a hole in the roof. I uploaded the first floor so you can see the stairs are no death trap- the actually lead to the balcony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piano2.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	25470  
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Ah!!! so there the atrium has a balcony all around it... Good stuff...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice! The random minor imperfections of hand-drawn plans and maps add so much to the "feel" and yet are so rarely seen in the digital art that most cartographers use. Great job! Repped.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice indeed, and congrats on your first maps uploaded - have some rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Fantastic! Rep coming your way!

Very nice! Do I detect the influence of ICE's old MERP module maps there?

Take a look through the tutorials forum for a pair of threads by Duvik on making dungeon maps with Photoshop. They're pretty old, but I found them to be a nice starting point. Not that I wsh to discourage you from the hand-drawn floor plans, of course!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thank you all

I already looked at the tutorials, but found my results too plain, so I made this hand-drawn version of it. About the influence: Mea culpa, but I don't actually know what ICE's old MERP modules maps are... The only influences I can cite is a roleplaying resource book which featured a somewhat similar mansion and a very small guide to drawing roleplaying maps yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast