Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Famine in Far-Go area map...

Default Famine in Far-Go area map...

Hi all,
    Here's a quick map I whipped up for the very old Gamma World adventure Famine in Far-Go. The original, I felt, was pretty dissimilar from the actual terrain near Fargo, ND so I wanted to redo it - and, yes, there is a hyphen in anal-retentive. I'm attaching both the map with GM secrets and an unmarked maps (which could be handed to players but I'm planning on making a physical map out of junk for use in-game).

Here's the WiP thread, but there's not much to see there. Hope you like it.
    M

Edit: Here's the original map (although it differs from the one in my module for some reason). Scale and geography is way off the real deal, hence my OCD need to redo the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fargo---Famine-Map.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	31530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fargo---Famine-Map GM Notes.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	31531  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 12-17-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Hey I redid this map for Wizards in the expansion set that just came out for Gamma Worlds, haha. I actually like your map alot though!

Edit: Wait i actually did Dah-Ko-Tah area map, my bad! Excellent work however
    Last edited by TheRedEpic; 12-17-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Nice work as always M. Man do you love those beveled/embossed forests/trees!!
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Hey, thanks.

I have't taken the plunge on the new version yet because I'm not big on the whole "card game" route it seems to have taken. Probably will do it anyway though...so I'm looking forward to your maps! The stuff I've seen from you on here is awesome.
    M

I'm with you mearrin on the card game thing. Plus, I really don't like the idea of never knowing what your mutation is going to be. Unless I understood that completely wrong every time you go into battle you have a different mutation. For me that's not fun Role play. I prefer to know beforehand what my role is. Anyway that's another diskushun.

Great map!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome as usual my friend..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I'm with you mearrin on the card game thing. Plus, I really don't like the idea of never knowing what your mutation is going to be. Unless I understood that completely wrong every time you go into battle you have a different mutation. For me that's not fun Role play. I prefer to know beforehand what my role is. Anyway that's another diskushun.

Great map!
    Bear in mind that it is quite possible to be playing as a swarm of psionic kittens in Gamma World. Gamma World is not a serious roleplaying game in any respect. It's really good at short 1 offs between another campaign and doing perfectly zany things. In this context the cards are an amazing and fun addition. It's worth noting that "boosters" or similar nonsense isn't required. It isn't a competitive game (it's still fundamentally DnD, just with moths that shoot radioactive laser beams and pig cops with cannons that fire atomic chickens), so there is no need to have a magic the gathering like arms race with cards or anything.

But really, gamma world is not serious business in any respect.

As for the map in the OP, I am conflicted because I like both of the maps presented. I actually think the OPs has a more gritty look to it and I rather like that for Gamma World, which just seems to scream terrible pulp science fiction. I mean if you want to know how I get in the mood for writing my GW campaigns I watch terrible B-horror movies like Inseminoid, Eight Legged Freaks and Slither. Albeit, two of those are probably in a different league of terrible to Inseminoid in fairness. I think that movie actually transcends utterly terrible.

A swarm of psionic kittens? Dude, I am so gonna put that into the campaign at some point. BTW we're going to use nice poker chips as Domars. That'll be fun to throw those around the table.

Still not sure about the variable mutation thing. I've got GW 1e, the "cyber badger" edition, the Alternity version and the D20 books. My favorite rules-wise is the Alternity version, as I've always liked that system. My favorite flavor-wise is 1e...none of the other one-page backstories has really struck my fancy the way that one did.

I do like the original maps...whether GW or D&D. I think they're half of the reason I started playing anyway.
    M

Guild Journeyer

Gamma World is complete insanity to say the least, some of the origins just produce immensely whacky results. It has some nice maps though - one of which I may even use in Eberron as a substitute for an eldritch machine if I need it. It's effectively pure nonsense and the cards really do add to it in a fun and amusing way. The fortune cards for regular DnD can go take a hike though.

Well, I picked up 4e tonight. It looks pretty interesting at least. I think my group will give it a go...after we play some 1e.
    M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast