Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of Gorian

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Kingdom of Gorian

This is a map I started mainly as a way to play around with new ways to create forests - the forests are two layers, the bottom-most just a simple round airbrush, gaussian-blurred, set to overlay, while the top layer is a duplicate of the bottom, slightly offset, set to soft light, with a bevel added. I thought it turned out pretty close to what I originally conceived.

The font is SevenSwordsmen (thanks to Valtharius for using it first so I could see how awesome it looks. ) All the coats-of-arms were done by me, using various free clipart pics found around the web.

As I worked on the map, it slowly evolved into a fragmented land - an usurper took over the throne some years back, sending the kingdom into a state of civil war, which is unresolved to this day; the Free West consists of two rebellious Great Houses and bits of a few more who contest the new king's right to rule. This is my favorite kind of map to do, one where I have no real idea of where I want to go with it, that inspires me while working on it with new story ideas, characters, and settings. Thanks to this map, I've come up with what I think is a killer idea for a novel, combining several older story ideas I've had with all-new ideas. Yay!

Anyway, hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gorian Final.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	33578  

Guild Member

Four things:

First, this is gorgeous - well done! Have some rep.

Second, and this is just a quirk of mine I'm sure, the wording of the map's nameplate caught my attention: "The fragmented kingdom of Gorian/including the rebellious lands of the Free West/and surrounding lands." I'd change one of the "lands" to something like "territories/duchies/kingdoms/nations" just to avoid the repetition. I'd also ask myself from whose perspective and for whom this map was made. Did the new king of Gorian commission this? If so I doubt he'd refer to the rebellious traitors as "free" anything. Was the map made in a foreign land or for scholarly purposes? They wouldn't necessarily be concerned enough to label the Free West as "rebellious". Am I making sense?

Third, speaking as an utterly hopeless nerd who has studied heraldry since I was ten, I'd be willing to offer you suggestions to improve upon the coats of arms. There are actual rules to heraldic construction, and some of your pieces violate those rules - although they certainly do look good enough for anyone who isn't me and they do a wonderful job of setting the tone of the entire composition.

Fourth, this is gorgeous. Well done.

I love it, really great work.

Easily as good as most of the stuff you see published in supplements.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

@PH: The wording is a little redundant, but not so much that I feel overly compelled to go back and change it. As for the heraldry... it's not Earth, so I plead extenuating circumstances. As for who created the map, I had it in the back of my mind that it was drawn by a Turren, a native of the theocratic realm of Turre. This guy is the servant/mentor of my embryonic main character. And thanks for the compliments!

@AP: Thanks!!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Honestly, I'd dump the forests...they sort of look like those posters where you have to weird-out your eyes to see a dolphin. Other than that, it looks really sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Honestly, I'd dump the forests...they sort of look like those posters where you have to weird-out your eyes to see a dolphin.
    I have to disagree with you, Ascended One. I'm quite fond of them.

Other than that, it looks really sweet.
    Thanks!

Well, it's a Diamond....need i say more ?!

Love it!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done Diamond...

I somewhat agree with Ascension the forests are a bit distracting to the eye, but if you like them that's all that really matters.
    For me the text for the 'country' names is a bit overwhelming, you might consider softening them a bit so the "blend" better with the rest of the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast