Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April/May 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - The Fortress of Saint Martin

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, the font is AquilineTwo.

Here's another smallish update, with a couple more areas labeled, and some flagstones for the yards. I'm not convinced they look alright, but I'll leave 'em in for a bit and see how things progress.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StMartin4.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	35685  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You know what I might try for this...open a new document the exact same size as the pattern you've used. On a new layer, hand-trace the lines between the blocks and then put a white layer underneath and save that as a pattern. On this document use the pattern with a blend of multiply. This will get rid of the texturey real feeling and keep it more linear architectural.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That was my thought as well, but then I got to thinking it looked too rectangular and evenly-shaped, so I started hand-drawing individual flagstones. I can see I'm going to have to devote a few hours just to that tonight if I want to finish in time.

I decided to deep-six the flagstones. They just didn't work.

Here's some more work done, including hill elevations and the southern shore of a lake (decided to make it a lakefront castle instead of in a mountain pass).

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	StMartin5.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	35711  

I think I'm done. I tried to keep everything pretty stripped-down and clean; maybe this could be a layout drawn by a spy scouting out the fortress...

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	StMartin6.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	35742  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks very good, Diamond, like an actual old map. The only nitpick I have: the horizontal lines within the buildings are too sharp and clean compared to the rest. They look like an 1 pixel line, not like something hand drawn. Maybe small, very small, irregularities or soft use of the blur tool. Just an idea.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I think I'm done. I tried to keep everything pretty stripped-down and clean; maybe this could be a layout drawn by a spy scouting out the fortress...
    Thats a great idea. To take it further I would say that it's been "cleaned up" by someone after it was drawn by your spy. Great job as always going to be a tough one this month.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Looks very good, Diamond, like an actual old map. The only nitpick I have: the horizontal lines within the buildings are too sharp and clean compared to the rest. They look like an 1 pixel line, not like something hand drawn. Maybe small, very small, irregularities or soft use of the blur tool. Just an idea.
    Good point. I'll play with it tonight and see what I can come up with. Some of the buildings are way too sharp also.

I added a slight blur to the buildings, but didn't mess with the horizontal building lines too much apart from that. It just made things look too messy.

I also added in a bunch of 'action report' text to liven things up a little.

Done.

### Winner ###

Name:	StMartin7.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	35790  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-30-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12