Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cartographia

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Cartographia

I've been tossing a thought around in my head for a long time now and after being swamped with work these last months I feel like mapping again, so what better time to realise my idea. So this is the map of Cartographia - an "homage" to the guild and its members. I'm planning to name countries and landmarks after the good folk on here
    My idea is looking at the membership lists and seing the highest ranking post and rep wise and somehow combine that to reflect their place in the guild and thus their place on my map. Community leadership counts as well of course
    If anybody have a fun idea, feel free to come with input.

my thoughts are like this: Name: Arcana => Kingdom of Arcania
    and so on... with duchies, baronies, cities and so on...
    and as mentioned.. any ideas- just post here or mail me

So.. for now, basic shape is done. Took a long time to handdraw the contours. As the document is 12000 x 16000 pixels, its too big to upload here, but I made a smaller version of the whole map + cut out a piece of the big map to show the few details ready yet.

I hope you enjoy and participate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartographia-small.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	618.2 KB 
ID:	36101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartographia-detail.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	36102  
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a great idea. I think you have the "order" right of members vs important locations. I should be the 3rd tree towards the middle of the forest.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

*rofl*... actually according to my primary calculations (which I just did) you qualify for a County
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

I'd like to claim the shade tree right over there -->

It's got a good view.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Man, I think I'm just jealous that you can do a map 12000 by 16000 pixels in size....if I tried that my PC would cough once and laugh at me just before keeling over in a rock solid position. It's funny how I built this thing as a gaming rig but it wasn't until I started doing digital art on here that I realized just how lame most gaming rigs are. This stuff takes real power if you want to go big.

Excellent idea for a map. I think we had a thought along these lines for a challenge possibility but who knows if that will ever happen anyway. I'm excited to see this taking shape, keep up the good work.

Also, I totally know what you mean about work taking it out of you. I'm struggling myself and I'll likely be doing so until summer is over. When I do have energy after a long day I end up doing some more work on my commissions. Hope to get those done asap though so I can do some more maps here with you all.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

hehe... shade and a good view... not a bad choice

so... first mountain test ... what'ya think?

size fits? style ok?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartographia-mountaintest-01.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	973.0 KB 
ID:	36106  
    Last edited by tilt; 05-27-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    regs tilt

Blog Entries

yes... get those commisions out of the way jax, so you can have fun with us all
    and thanks for the kind words - yes, I remember seing the challenge suggestion some months ago and thinking that great minds think alike *lol* ... wasn't ready to work on this then though
    regs tilt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Funny and fascinating idea!

Blog Entries

thanks Sapiento
    regs tilt

Are we going to see the Ancient Fortress of the Riveria Polita? Or the Tower of Ascension? Or the Lonely Rock of Wanderering Hamsters!? Nice, an idea like this has been thrown around a fair bit now so it's nice to see something do it. You should definately use the guild's compass/icon as the compass for this one.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast