Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Map Borders in GIMP

Tutorial [Award Winner] Making Map Borders in GIMP

There seemed to be some interest on the topic of how to make map borders using GIMP, so I decided to write a mini-tutorial on the Subject. Below I've included a png of what the completed map borders should look like. This is not intended as an exhaustive treatment of the topic, and if anyone would like to add their own tips and tricks to this thread please feel free to do so.

What You Will Need::

In addition to using GIMP 2.6.1, I also make use of a plug-in called Layer Effects, which is a script that attempts to emulate some of the features of Phostoshop's Layer Styles. I will also be using a Slate pattern, which you can find below. To import this to GIMP, click on the image and save it as a file somewhere where you will know where to find it. Then reopen the image in GIMP and save it as a .pat file in the "Patterns" folder of GIMP (I'm using Windows 7 and in my directory it looks like this: Computer > (C:) > Users > Owner > .gimp-2.6 > Patterns). Close and reopen GIMP, and the Slate pattern should be in your patterns dialogue.

Hope this is useful to some of you out there.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Map Borders in GIMP 1.1.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Borders2.png 
Views:	3406 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	36638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slate.png 
Views:	4173 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	36639  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 08-04-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Edits to Tutorial

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those look super sweet, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is really great arsheesh. Maybe now I can finally make a decent border. Have some rep.

*EDIT* I guess I recently whacked you with my stick of repping and can't do it again. but consider yourself "repped"..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks so much bro. I'm totally psyched to use this next time around. One area I haven't spent any real time on is making borders for my maps so I'm very glad you did this.

I'm going to take my rep stick now and club you like a baby seal

edit: OUTRAGEOUS!! I'm unable to hit you now....musta been the politically incorrect comment, lol
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well thanks guys, I do appreciate the kind words (and the attempted rep), but I'd also like to know if you guys have any constructive feedback on the tutorial. I tired to make it accessible to both those who were bran new to GIMP as well as those of you (and by that I of course mean you Jax and JT) who are old hands with the software. However if you come upon any vague or missing instructions as you're reading through the tut would you mind letting me know? Thanks.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I skimmed it but didn't read it word for word and it seemed fine to me. I saved it and will read it through tomorrow.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks A, your feedback is always valuable.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done Arsheesh, maybe someday I'll actually get to put it to use (after its converted for Photoshop).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Nicely done tutorial, Arsheesh.

I'd like to say though, that although it might not be real-world historically accurate (no idea, I'll take your word for it) but I prefer my checkered graticule edging to have mismatched corners. I tried it both ways when I originally did one and I just preferred the looks of it that way.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast