Thread: Hi, need a little help

Default Hi, need a little help

Hi everyone,

I need help with map making. I have to make a history map of a some area but I dont know how. I have photoshop. If someone can give me a link or hint in step by step map making. (I found nothing on search)
    I need a basic simple history map. Nothing special, no mountins, decorations....
    Just towns, villages and rivers. Just simple basic map made using another base map that I have to work on.

Thanks in advance.

PS I need it fast

Welcome to the Guild!
    What do you mean history map? Something like this?
    This is one of the tutorials you can find in the Tutorial/how to section of the forum. If this is what you need, you can also find a downloadable pdf version of the tutorial (there's a Tutorials in PDF thread).
    If not, you can search in the various tutorials if there's something that matches your needs!
    If you find it useful, please give your thanks to the author with a bit of reputation! (The star thing in the bottom left corner of the post!)
    Happy mapping!
    Given the choice:
    wheter to rule a corrupt and failing empire
    or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny...
    what was a King to do?
    But does anyone truly have a choice?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate.
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.

By history map I mean not fantasy map. Example- (Map of Roman Empire 200ad, Map of Holy Roman Empire...) with exact castles, towns, villages... I assume that I have to work on all ready present map as a base. Right???
    Ill check those tutorials.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome! I think you'll find that while we usually map fantasy subject matter, a lot of our inspiration and reference comes from historical maps. So the techniques you learn here should apply. If you're looking for the actual base material, I'd suggest looking around at the many museums that have online map archives. They are a gold mine of historical cartography (and most is in the public domain so you can freely use it as a base for your work). Happy mapping!

I have base map, all I need now is skills

Quote Originally Posted by mvojnovic View Post
    I have base map, all I need now is skills
    Why don't you share your results in a WIP thread for you map? This is a wonderful place, people can give advices, point flaws or ways to improve your map. This also applies to techniques, so don't be shy and if you need to know how to do something, ask!

Personal note to ravells: thanks for the rep for the previous answer. That made me and official Guild Member. Yay!!
    Last edited by Morgan; 04-03-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Personal note to ravells :P
    Given the choice:
    wheter to rule a corrupt and failing empire
    or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny...
    what was a King to do?
    But does anyone truly have a choice?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate.
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.