Thread: Schwarzkreuz Realistic Coastline in Photoshop or make your life more easier

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Tutorial Schwarzkreuz Realistic Coastline in Photoshop or make your life more easier

Hi Guild.

Here is a quick tutorial of how I make quick coastlines in Photoshop. I hope this can be of use for any newcomers and old mappers.
    I had often struggle at the long time to puzzle a nice map with bits and pieces of difference clouds, so I though about a way to fasten the process. And here it is.

Comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coast tut.jpg 
Views:	2651 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	45018  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That's pretty cool! I never would have thought of making a brush out of difference clouds, but I can think of a ton of uses for it. Thanks for posting.

Guild Journeyer

Same for me, thanks a lot!

For a more clear line its good to use the Option dual brush ob the brush menue combining it with a soft Round brush for example the 100px. So you get a smokey but still clearer line for outlines. And of course try differentbrush sizes. I used on an A3 Map, 400px 180px 100px

Nice little tutorial Schwarzkruez, simple and effective.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I will tryout some other textures soon and look what happens. It is interesting to use these things to generate patterns and other visuals.

It sounds good. I use GIMP so not sure if I can make everything you said work but I think I get the idea. I'll have to try it out soon.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    It sounds good. I use GIMP so not sure if I can make everything you said work but I think I get the idea. I'll have to try it out soon.
    I think you get good results if you can add some attributes, like different sizes and rotation and so on to the brushes. I duntknow that prog much so if you find a way, a small note for other gimp users would be great
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 05-30-2012 at 08:43 PM.

I loved the tutorial! It's a really unique way of making coastlines (and nice brushes as well). Thanks!
    To hire me for graphic design or web development, visit my website KatSkinner.com. It's my virtual home away from my physical domain.
    To read my novels, and follow writing tips and other tutorials visit my website Ervirath.com .