Thread: Ultima Related Maps

Default Ultima Related Maps

I never did play all the games but the one I did play to death was The Black Gate. I never played Serpent Isle though so I recently bought it on GoG although I am working through Black Gate again. It's a bit clunkier than I remember. Probably because the last game I finished was Skyrim =P

Anyway, it also got me in to UO which I still play. I have made a number of maps for my dear guild which briefly got mentioned in my tutorial thread, some of which I shall share. I'll link them though rather than upload them as they are on my webspace. They aren't all town maps though which is why I'm putting them here.

Skara Brae - One of my favourite towns. Named after a favourite real life neolithic town. Well, it's not like I've been to a lot of neolithic villages.
    Umbra - Introduced in a contentious expansion. I think I did this because it presented some unusual challenges.
    Britannia - A map of all of Britannia as of 2012. I actually got around to finishing it and lots of people liked it. I was going to abandon it at one point. If you follow the codex site, you probably already saw it.
    Yew Prison Isle - We call it Band Isle for various reasons. Done for a friend.
    Something Different - I don't know if anyone ever played the Suikoden games but the topic came up "how would you implement a big conflict system into Ultima". I thought of Suikoden and I ended up drawing it earlier today. =P

There are others but they are all "player built" towns. Also I've done a bunch of actual artwork mostly related to my Britannian travels so not really relevant. I am curious if anyone else has done any Ultima based mapping because I would love to see it.

Blog Entries

Actually, one of my very first maps was a map of Britannia: http://draconic.ca/portfolio/britannia.png

In this case it's primarily based on the U4-5 map, with bits of U6 and U7. I've been meaning to redo it for ages.

I'm not really familiar with UO, but did they remove the combination runes? ST, EE, EA, NG, and TH are each their own rune in the single player games.

I'm not really sure. I used a font called Britannian Runic 1. I did wonder if there were some differences between the couple of fonts I could find (the shapes are a tiny bit different on some like the one for "V" in Vesper. I crosschecked it (briefly) with my cloth map though and the font seemed to match up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I'm not really sure. I used a font called Britannian Runic 1. I did wonder if there were some differences between the couple of fonts I could find (the shapes are a tiny bit different on some like the one for "V" in Vesper. I crosschecked it (briefly) with my cloth map though and the font seemed to match up.
    Check places with ST, EE, EA, NG, and TH in their names. You're also missing the word separator dot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rect7880.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	45562

On closer inspection, the cloth map does use the double letter runes. Thanks for highlighting that! I guess that is what I get for quick lazy crosschecking with "Vesper", "Minoc" and "Wind". =P The UO map doesn't use the separator dot though but I like it so when I relabel it I'll throw that in too.

The U9 map (which I really like and was some inspiration) seems to use it with less regularity as well when compared to the U7 one, which is why I probably missed it. I'll have to go through the fonts and see where the combination and separator runes are hidden (probably on the punctuation keys I suspect).