Map (Click to enlarge)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VaniyaMap.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	109571

Created in: Photoshop

Review

An exquisite map by one of our newest members. It might not look like much to those unfamiliar with making maps but the details are what makes this (along with the color scheme). Look at those mountains and forests! The different shades of green used to denote the countries is subtle but easy to comprehend. Those of us who are utterly familiar with such things can appreciate the passion that goes into making a great piece of art and fretting over these details. Fonts are often selected for their uniqueness and usually are unreadable; but not here. I don't get to use this word often enough but it is completely appropriate here...sublime.

Ramah says:
    Vaniya is the land in which the novel I am writing is based. It is a fantasy world in which, although magic exists, it has long since been broken, changed into many different forms that the original users could not comprehend. For decades now the land has been under a terrible blight and the human race is dying out, slowly but surely. The only non-human race in the land are the Mandrai which live in The Ruhks, the great forest to the north. The humans and Mandrai have been at war for many long years.

The map, although ostensibly for my own benefit as a writing aid, has been decorated a little as if it is a communication between Arcanists, the practitioners of Circle Magic situated on the isle of Maloglash. The idea is that it is used as they attempt to chart the increase in The Blight. To this effect, I have added bits of flavour text to the map (I have increased the visibility on most of these since I last posted, but some are still purposely faint), some of which are directly related to my story.

I, for one, hope we get to see more maps from Ramah and hope that the writing is as good as the map.

Original thread
    Click here to view the original thread.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-17-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Changed image to an attachment, so that it will show in the CC Awards thumbnails gallery
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Allow me to be the first, Ramah, of many, I'm sure. Congradulations and absolutley deserved. It's a beautiful piece.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Yep, this is a great map. Could look hours at it and still finding more details. Well deserved.
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

WOW. Brilliant map mate. I do love them mountains and forests !!!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Good grief, I just drooled all over my keyboard.
    Great stuff!

Congrats Ramah!
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Great map and great pick!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great choice and congrats Ramah!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

It was inevitable that this map would be a Choice ... it's just brilliant. Very well done

Blog Entries

Wow, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate this and feel honoured to be included in this section. The trouble is, now you've kicked my desire to do a zoomed in regional map up by several notches. :s ... must.... resist....

I've learned a lot while making this puppy and I only hope that if I decided to make this map again tomorrow I could do it a LOT quicker.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast