View Poll Results: Was this tutorial helpful?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 77.78%
  • No

6 9.52%
  • No because I don't use GIMP

8 12.70%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Mountains in GIMP

Post Making Mountains in GIMP

I saw this post by Jurgen (at EN World) on making mountains in GIMP and figured I share a technique I worked out.

Hope the images all end up in the right order...

1. Make a shaky selection around the whole mountain. Keep the outline really ragged, not smooth:
    2. Set colours for the base and peak of the mountain. fill the selection with a shaped angular gradient:
    3. Duplicate that layer as a new layer and greyscale it:
    4. Now stretch the contrast from black to white:
    5. Apply a gaussian blur:
    6. then apply a Filters->Noise->Spread to break it up:
    7. Hide the B&W layer, and apply it as a bump map to the original coloured one:
    8. Using a grungy brush and the colour of the mountain base, paint around the mountain (using the "below" brush setting)

9. and 10. Using Jurgen's grass and desert textures as backgrounds.

That's it... Hope it was helpful!

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosaic.png 
Views:	988 
Size:	837.1 KB 
ID:	23131  
    Last edited by RobA; 03-22-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Very nice effect! I think I'll use this in the future...

Professional Artist keithcurtis's Avatar

I'm sorry, I had to vote no. I've seen similar techniques used on many different maps and none of them look convincing. That is, they don't seem to match real-world mountain forms. I'd like to use this technique, and have experimented with a lot of variations on it, but never been satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by keithcurtis
    I'm sorry, I had to vote no. I've seen similar techniques used on many different maps and none of them look convincing. That is, they don't seem to match real-world mountain forms. I'd like to use this technique, and have experimented with a lot of variations on it, but never been satisfied.
    I agree it is not realistic. I present it as a cross between purely symbolic and aerial-photo realistic. Any primers or pointers to "the idiots guide to mountain shapes"? (hehe)

Though I must say, one could probably find a mountain anywhere in the world to match the most unlikely, unrealistic, un-mountainish shapes......

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...09978&t=h&om=1

-Rob A>

Cool link, RobA.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

That's crazy! Is that a natural occurring formation?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    That's crazy! Is that a natural occurring formation?
    Yep-

Here is a bit more on it at CBC Radio:
    http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/featur..._20061026.html

It includes a 1951 aerial photo (no road or well at that time) and a 3d model. I do stand corrected though, as it is a valley, not a mountain

-Rob A>

Sorry for the crosspost.

I made a video tutorial (as they are all the rage) of this thread as it was recently resurrected. It creeped to almost 12 minutes (I tend to babble).

I recorded the screen in 1024x768 and scaled the video to 640x480 off line.

It is currently hosted at showmedo at 640x480 (though I think will host up to 800x600:
    http://showmedo.com/videos/video?nam...omSeriesID=262

-Rob A>

Excellent tutorial! Thanks!

Guild Novice

Sorry, but I voted no - not because I couldn't find it of use, but becasue there were no explanations to the steps. It'd be good if you knew what was going on, but to a GIMP noob - sorry I couldn't follow it all,

Take Care,

Norm

Rob,

Three things Amigo,

Firstly - it's good to another Cardinal Fang Devotee

Secondly - Excellent tutorial, simple and easy to follow, I will be using this in future

Finally - This process, and all the others I have seem seem to produce a mountain range with the peaks in the middle, which is good enough. But what about escarpment ranges - where for example one tectonic plate, or similar, subducts another, raising the top plate gradually on one side with a steep fall-off on the other where the subdudtion occurs. The prime examples I can think of for this are the Rockies and Andes.

Basically - what I'm asking is how can we reproduce a non central range of peaks within a range? I'm not explaining this too well am I

Take Care

Norm
    Last edited by Normski; 05-18-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast