Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mountain brushes from Ramah's Aronbor map

Post Mountain brushes from Ramah's Aronbor map

Ramah, I'm finally finished creating the brushes from your map. The layer with the mountains you posted helped a lot. At the same time it made it harder because the extracted mountains were more detailed and in order to look smooth I had to find the right pieces to fill the parts that were covered by mountains in front.

Tell me what you think.
    If anything is wrong with them tell me so I can fix it.

You'll find two zip files. The brushes are in .abr format.
    In the first (Mountains_L), the light coming from the left, while in the second (Mountains_R) the light comes from the right.
    In each set the mountains are named like this: Mountains, ** and Mountain Range, **, where ** shows the mountain's size.
    Lg = Large
    Md = Medium
    Sm = Small
    Tn = Tiny

I don't have right now a pic showing them, but I'll post one asap.
    If you want to see the map check here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7011

Hey Ramah, could you post a layer with the hills too? I would like to have a complete mountain-hills set.

***************EDIT****************

In the 12th post you can download the hill brushes from this great map
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vhailor27; 11-11-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Addition of new brushes.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks for posting...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I've only had a few minutes to check them out but my word, you've done a really great job with those.
    There are so many of them, they must have taken you ages. :S

Man, I wish I'd had this brush set when I did my range, hehe. If I decide to do any other regional maps from Vaniya you can be sure that I will be using these.

As for posting the hill layer, no problem. I'll get it posted for you tonight. I don't know if you'll find it easier or harder to do the hills because I personally think it's the shading between the hills that make them look a bit better. On their own they look a little too unconnected but I would imagine it would be very hard to separate them into brushes with the shading intact. I'll post both versions for you so you can decide yourself how you want to go with it. I'll post them up in your other thread so as not to clog this one up.

Edit: I took the liberty of doing a quick image for you that shows all the mountains from the Mountains_L set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains.jpg 
Views:	7201 
Size:	971.0 KB 
ID:	17919
    Last edited by Ramah; 10-21-2009 at 09:35 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure Vhailor has created them with a view to being usable by anyone for whatever purpose. From my own point of view I have no objection to them being complete freeware, or whatever the term would be.

It would be nice if anyone uses them to give some rep or credit to Vhailor though. I do believe his work in turning the mountains into brushes was harder than my original drawing of them.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Those look fabulous. Repped and rated

Actually, the rep should go to Ramah. That's why I included a link to the wip thread. Well... that and for the opportunity to admire a trully amazing map. Putting your soul into something you create, and mechanically copying someone else's work are two entirely different things. So, credits to Ramah.

As for the licensing/usage for the set, for my part is free for all. I'm just happy you liked them.

I have something in mind for the shading for the hills. If it works you'll see the results posted.

Blog Entries

That settles it then. The brushes are there for whoever wants to use them for whatever purpose.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Rep to both of you, actually.

the tedium of making new brushes deserves it's own recognition, as well as the creation in the first place

[edit] as soon as the board lets me rep, that is, heh)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast