Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop users: Can you help me to get this tutorial to work?

Default Photoshop users: Can you help me to get this tutorial to work?

I'm looking for a forest texture for my 3 maps. I remembered a while ago I posted here a tutorial I found on the Cartotalk forum for what must be for me, one of the prettiest forest textures I've ever seen.

I've been trying for a couple of hours to get this effect by going through the tutorial but it just doesn't work. Maybe I'm being thick...maybe the author has left out a step or something...I don't know.

Here is the tutorial. The final effect can be seen in the picture below. Can anyone get it to work?

All help gratefully received!!

You should have a landcover image of forests in solid black color. Convert image to grayscale.
    Create duplicate layer. Select nonforest areas (white) in duplicate layer (Select -> Color range: tolerance 0) and delete them.
    Use Filter->Texture->Grain: Grain type: soft, Intensity 100%, Contrast 50-75%
    Again select remaining black areas with Color range and small tolerance
    Invert select and delete
    Change image colorspace to CMYK or RGB
    Create new Solid Color layer with desired green
    Copy/Paste forest texture layer to the Solid Color layer
    Add Layer Style to that layer: Bevel&Emboss-> Style:Inner Bevel, Technique: Chisel soft, Depth: as you wish, Size 1-2px
    The image is usually to sharp so apply small amount of Gaussian blur to layer (0.5 - 1)
    And that it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lui forest.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	511.8 KB 
ID:	21699  

It would probably help if he posted the image before he added any effects.
    I think the same effect can be obtained by creating a pattern of the forest, make your forest selction the use the layer style pattern fill.
    Apply a shading layer above it to give it some dimension and a beveled edge like he says to do.
    just keep the forest layer on it's own layer.

Name:	Picture 2.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	21700  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I never had any success either with that one. If I get the time I'll go through it again tonight.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm getting there...the film grain, turn it into grayscale stuff is all unncessarry, I think you can do this with plain old noise. The trick is to delete everything but the pure black pixels and so long as they run in short and slightly rounded 'wiggles' you'll get the suggestion of treetops when you bevel them.

Devin, I can't see the similarity with your result and the tutorials...I'm probably missing something...

Blog Entries

Oh, I hope you sort it. That looks lovely.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I posted a clarification for that tutorial a while ago.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-Photoshop-CS3
    I didn't get exactly the same results as the original, but it's pretty close. I think a couple of tweaks are all it needs.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 02-01-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

This is pretty close isn't it? If I'd spent time tarting up the edge and performing some bevelling of the underlying layer to show hills I think it would be pretty good.

I did it up to where it says "Create new Solid Color layer with desired green" and then I ctrl+clicked on the layer and filled it with green.
    I didn't copy/paste anything to the underlying layer. I just performed the bevel on the layer that has been worked on. If this is in any way correct there is no need to duplicate the layer at the start. Unless you want some little black dots poking through the trees. Which is maybe what he means with the copy/paste and then gblur.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, I also had the bevel going down on this screenie. It would look better going up if the edges were sorted.

Name:	Foresttest.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	446.5 KB 
ID:	21704  
    Last edited by Ramah; 02-01-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

By gum, I think you've both got it (although Mid, yours has some speckly black bits in it)...not sure if that was just the render though. I don't know how I missed your tut Mid.

Ramah: I always thought the bevel was meant to apply to the individual trees rather than the shape as a whole though....I think you're really close. I'm in the middle of something else at the moment, but will come back to this using both your techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I don't know how I missed your tut Mid.
    Well, you didn't, actually. You repped me for it. I didn't like the black speckles, either, but they didn't show up the first time I used the technique, so it was something odd that I did when I made that particular rendition of it. I probably clipped something when I beveled it. Also note the comments I made later in the thread about making it a smart layer so you can blur it nondestructively.

For a refresher on how I used it in a map, reference Mennin's Hallow: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...3&d=1213894333

That wasn't perfect, though, since I screwed up and deleted part of it destructively, so I wasn't able to treat the edges as well as I wanted.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I think I've got there, it's not quite the same, but I think it's better. That's the good news. The bad news is that the only way I can do it is to use a 3rd party filter (constellation from the Alienskin Xenoflex 2 filter set). What the filter does is create randomly distributed white circles within a selected area. You can adjust the density, the initial size, the size variation and the edge density (unfortunately the last upward only; it would have been lovely to have the slider allow you to make the edges less dense so you could get the impression of scattered trees at the edge of the forest). You can also change the random seed number so it distributes differently with the other settings left the same. I filled identical selections on four layers each with bevel/emboss layer style with the circles. If I had done one layer which was 4 times as dense the bevel and emboss would have applied to overlapping circles, by keeping the layers separate each individual circle retains its own shape giving, (IMO) a more individual 'tree-top' feel. The top layer I didn't bevel and emboss (it just looked better that way). Here are 4 images with the layers being gradually added and the underlying pattern I used for the selection, although when I do it again, I think I'll apply the forest to the whole landmass and use a mask. I would probably also change the colour of the trees on some layers to add some variation.

So the 64 million dollar question is whether there is a native PS filter which can do what the constellation filter does (create randomly distributed circles with adjustable size) - cos if there is, I think we've found a really nice new way of doing forests.

Name:	forest test5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	21839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	21840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	21841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	21842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	21843  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast