Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] This Orb: world-building and mapping project

Would it be possible to have a little tutorial about the technique you used to do your realistic heightmap ? Because I'm really trying hard to have such results... Thanks

All my works are under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND)

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Guldaroth View Post
    Would it be possible to have a little tutorial about the technique you used to do your realistic heightmap ? Because I'm really trying hard to have such results... Thanks
    Sure. The following works for photoshop, but the GIMP can probably do something very similar. Intermediate skill with your app of choice is required

1 ) I'm assuming you've already figured out your coastline.

2 ) I set things up to do the elevation one continent at a time, since it was easier that way. Make a layer from one continent: the land fully opaque and the sea fully transparent. Make it white if black is your max elevation color, or black if white is your max elevation color. You may want to do this in a separate document, if your map high res enough to be slow. Most of the layer's you'll make will be flattened when you are done.

3) On another layer sketch in where you want your mountains, continental divides, or whatever you have as a guide. The brown in my example is where i want my mountains.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step 2.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	24528

4 ) Open some elevation maps like these. You just want greyscale without any shadows. For something more exotic use elevation maps of the moon, mars or other celestial bodies.

5 ) Look for parts on the real elevation map that more or less match what you want on your map. If your continent is large or complex you will need to look for one piece at a time. The Rocky mountains here gradually sloping down across the great plains is basically what i want for my continents, since this one is pretty simple (as examples should be). Select what you want with the lasso, feather your selection and then copy and paste it in as a new layer. I'm using white as down, so i need to invert this bit of the rockies.

6 ) Move your cut-out piece of elevation over your shoreline layer from step 2. Then "Create a Clipping Mask" with the cut out bit of elevation. In Photoshop you can do that by OPTION clicking between the two layers, or from the contextual menu. If you do it right, it will look the following. The clipping mask will only show the part of your elevation layer that is over an opaque part of the coastline layer, thus anything over the ocean isn't shown.

Name:	step 4.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	24523

7 ) Resize, Flip, Rotate etc. the elevation layer until it goes where you want it to. It won't be a perfect fit, but we'll refine that later. Turn on your guide layer when you need to remember your original idea, turn it off, when it gets in your way.

8 ) Chances are the bit of elevation you copied doesn't have everything you want. That's fine. Go grab another piece of elevation as per step 5. Paste it into your document and position it above the previous bit of elevation-- don't worry if it overlaps. You'll want to "create a clipping mask again" with this one and any additional layers to your base coastline. All should be clipped to your base coastline layer.

9 ) OK, now the tricky part is getting these disparate bits of elevation to line up, right? Don't worry, it's not tricky my way. If down is white, you'll set the blending mode of all your elevation layers to "Multiply". If down is black use the "Screen" blending mode. What this does is add both elevations together, assuming that some of the layers of copied elevation overlap-- which they should. The only hard edges you see should be at your coastline. If you are more familiar with your app, you can probably think of variations on this method to achieve different effects, but i won't go in to that.

Name:	step 5.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	24526

10 ) I find it hard to gauge what going on just staring at greyscale elevation. So i made a gradient map with a series of colors like you'll find on a topographical map. This gradient map layer sits above all the other layers. While you are painting with black or white on one of the elevation layers, the gradient map instantly converts the appearance to nice topographical color.

Name:	step 6.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	24527

11 ) Now it's time to refine the elevation. You can paint with fuzzy, semi-transparent white and black brushes on any of the elevation layers to emphasize or de-emphasize any feature. For wide-spread, gentle changes, use a radial gradient tool, set to low opacity.

12 ) When you are happy with the appearance, merge all your layers together (but not the gradient map layer, or your guide layer) and your are done.

Thanks a lot Jwbjerk ! I'll try your technique and see what I can obtain. At least, with your explanations and images, I'm sure I won't waste my time trying to do a realistic heightmap. Thanks again !!!

All my works are under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND)

Guild Journeyer

Here's where i am so far in the process of using my method to build elevation. I thought i better provide a little better evidence that my process explained above actually works. I can't claim it's a quick process, at least not to the level of detail that i'm going to-- but i like the results.

I discovered some tutorials about how to use Hugin to convert a map to different projections, so i've gotten bogged down refining my poles' coastlines-- which if i do it obviously needs to happen before i do polar elevation.

click for much bigger version.

Name:	orb elevation snapshot.jpg 
Views:	1118 
Size:	739.4 KB 
ID:	24668

The blue overlay is year-round ice. The elevation scale goes up approximately to Everest hight.
    Last edited by jwbjerk; 05-11-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Sure. The following works for photoshop, but the GIMP can probably do something very similar. Intermediate skill with your app of choice is required

1 ) I'm assuming you've already figured out your coastline.

12 ) When you are happy with the appearance, merge all your layers together (but not the gradient map layer, or your guide layer) and your are done.
    I am so applying that technique to Rhothar! Thanks! ^^
    Last edited by RobA; 05-22-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: snipped the quote

Now I wonder why I spent so much time working with bevel and other layer styles! This is such a great technique - I'll have to give this a shot ^.^

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Guild Journeyer

Just for fun, here's part of my planet rendered in an rich, antique style:
    It's more stylistic practice than serious placement of rivers, towns, etc.

Name:	Delta-oldstyle.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	30524

loved the antique style

I've been thinking about making some photoshop brushes of patches of gray-scale height maps of earth to do something similar. Good to hear there are other folks thinking along the same lines.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Just for fun, here's part of my planet rendered in an rich, antique style:
    It's more stylistic practice than serious placement of rivers, towns, etc.
    good work. Style is great

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast