Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCHWARI, Maloumba

Map SCHWARI, Maloumba

SCHWARI, Maloumba Scroll

This is what has become of my "digital resurrection project 1" map http://www.cartographersguild.com//s...tion-Project-1. I have assigned it the identity of Schwari, Maloumba which is an African analogue on the same geofiction world as Torentine. It is that nation's largest city at about 2.7 million. On the Aged Maloumba map you'll find the city on the southwest coast of the Atisa Queendom. I thought it best to keep it simple and plop it onto a parchment that looks like it's been through the ringer. I didn't want to mess with it too much and lose the hand-drawn look.

It looks like it wasn't quite finished in that world, likely the artist was "erased" or suffered an early death due to acute "wingu" addiction. The drug that keeps Maloumba's male workforce in bondage.. Maloumba is all about women.
    We'll call it finished in this world even if it never was there.

The map is hand drawn from years ago and i just layered in some effects in photoshop. I used coyotemax's awesome beaten gold style download for a really quick nameplate.

Hope you like it.
    Brian (a2area)

p.s. i realize the gold circle looks just a bit meso-american.. but hey it kind of looks african-ish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCHWARI_sm.jpg 
Views:	1163 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	21147  
    Last edited by a2area; 01-20-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: moved national map to new thread

awesome map again! just saved it into my inspiration folder.

Blog Entries

That looks really awesome. But then so did the initial drawing you posted.

I have just one criticism and that's that the burnt edges have a very hard edge and there's some bits of frayed edge of the paper on the right that just wouldn't be there. It looks like maybe you magic wanded and cut it from a different background or something. Anyway, I wold try and soften them up somehow.

Still, fantastic map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Excellent job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

all right mr. picky (ramah).. just kidding, i'm actually glad of the advice.. so i took it and fixed the edges (for the most part). It looks much better under scrutiny..
    i wasn't looking at it very closely and was trying to avoid detail work on this one. Cartographersguild.com is no place for shortcuts! (0:
    Last edited by a2area; 01-18-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

While this is an absolutely awesome hand-drawn city map, and one of the best I've seen in a long time, I'm having some trouble reading it. I take it that the city is located on a river delta, and the buildings are concentrated on the little islands while there are bridges connecting these islands. But I'm seeing some conflicts in the outlining of the waters. What I think should be water appears to be land with scattered concentrations of buildings on it. Is it me reading the borders incorrectly? What are the dotted borders outlining? Is there a difference in depth of the water? Pray tell.

Also, the compass rose looks a little strange. It has what appears to be roman numerals, like on a clock, but from what I can tell, they translate to 6, 8, 9, 9, 10, 11...
    Last edited by Daelin; 01-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    While this is an absolutely awesome hand-drawn city map, and one of the best I've seen in a long time, I'm having some trouble reading it. I take it that the city is located on a river delta, and the buildings are concentrated on the little islands while there are bridges connecting these islands. But I'm seeing some conflicts in the outlining of the waters. What I think should be water appears to be land with scattered concentrations of buildings on it. Is it me reading the borders incorrectly? What are the dotted borders outlining? Is there a difference in depth of the water? Pray tell.

Also, the compass rose looks a little strange. It has what appears to be roman numerals, like on a clock, but from what I can tell, they translate to 6, 8, 9, 9, 10, 11...
    Can you read Maloumban numerals? haha.. c'mon.. just play along! I dunno what the numerals were supposed to be, i never liked that compass rose actually but don't read too much into it. I just wanted to give the map a finished look without going back to edit the actual map.. as the paper is worn thin and crumbly.

As for the rivers.. the dotted lines demarcate the floodplain channels which are dry for part of the year (and used for agriculture) and have roads criss-crossing them with the occasional bridge for the wet season... so some of those little islands are only part time islands. Many buildings/yards back right up to these flood areas. The year round river channels have a definite, albeit thin, line boundary. As for random darkened areas there are probably stains on the paper.

Does that help?
    Last edited by a2area; 01-18-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Ah, yes, now I see. That makes a whole lot of sense. Now I also see that there's a difference between roads and bridges crossing the floodplains. It's like a Nile-inspired river thing.

And as for the compass rose, I totally get it. I actually did the same thing with the first map I posted here, Oshen-Dan-Desh. I didn't feel like making my own symbols, so I sort of accidentally came across that silly "Webdings" font, and thought I'd just use them.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Very nice! (and not just because you used one of my effects, hah).

I kind of like the unfinished look, you have a good basis for why. And anyone using this for an adventure would have freedom to play around with the unfinished areas I could spend years running adventures in here!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

YOU ROCK man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast