Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arnoria - the dying world

Wip Arnoria - the dying world

Well time to map again.

This is the world of Arnoria. It's a dying world where the seas has dried up. There is only on sea lelft in the middle of the largest continent. This is also where the last of the civilizations in this world strugle to survive.

So where does this map fit in to the world of Etrakien? Well this is the world where the faceless ones (living on the island Arnor in the Etrakien world) comes from.

So far not much is done, only the continents and some textures for land.

Well enjoy :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arnoria_1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	10979  

Guild Journeyer

that's a nice start, when you put more into it i will be able to get a better sense of scale. However I must ask.... where did the water go? I started thinking about how long ago the water dried up, and how much water could be spread out around from Rain fall and then started to think were is the water to for clouds.... polar ice caps? or heavy rainy atmosphere where the water is in the air and slowly comming back down... eventially forming lakes on the bottoms of the oceans... and new cradles for civilization in the oceans... i dunno... maybe i went a little far

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    When you say the seas are all gone are you referring to the oceans? Because then there wouldn't be continents, would there? Or are you referring to inland seas?

-Rob A>
    The places that were sea/ocean could very well be many miles deep so the old continents could still be distinct on a map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good point markus...the continental shelf (currently my obsession, muhahahah)
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's the classic Mars scenario, as it was thought of 100-120 years ago. Makes for great stories, but isn't really scientifical... As that type of setting is something I really like (check out my Arnaron maps if I am allowed this plug), I'll be interested to see where you go with it.

As a side note the shape reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Il...erieuse_03.jpg :-)

Thanks for all the interesting comments. So what is the idea behind the dying planet and the missing seas. If you check my Etrakien thread you can read a bit about the background story to my universe.
    The Archonts that created the worlds where seven to the number, so there are seven different worlds. When the big war between the humanoid empire that streched between the worlds and the archonts broke out it nearly brought the hole creation to an end. Some of the worlds (planets) suffered worse then others. One of the worlds that had to pay the greates toll was Arnoria. The result was that the oceans dissapeared, volcanos erupted, the earth cracked. So there are no rains in most of the parts of the world. The old seas are great grey desserts, usually called the great grey or the grey world. You can travel these areas but it is very dangerous. Strange lifeforms inhabit them and there is no food or water. The area is also very unstable and there are a lot of cracks into the borderlands where demons dwell. But you can get to ilands in the distant where you can find ruins with long forgotten secrets.

I hope this gives you some sort of explination.....in one sentence "it's all about magic" :-)

Time for a small update. All the mountains are now done, well the black stuff at least. I still have to colour them, but that has to wait 'til another night. It's geting late and you never know for how long your kids let you sleep in the morning :-)

Well enjoy.

Name:	Arnoria_2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	11560  

Some more progress on the map. The great grey is slowly coming into place. Still some work needs to be done on it, but it feels like i'm on the right track. Also need to add in some hills and rivers. I have some new things to add in as well like craters and lava. Well we see where it'll end up.

Sorry for the triple post. I hope it's ok.

Name:	Arnoria_3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	12000  

The dried up ocean is starting to look good!
    So, you got yourself into another huge project
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast