Thread: Fractal Terrain's erosion feature

Link Fractal Terrain's erosion feature

For those of you using FT, you may want to try out a feature that many don't know about and that is its ability to generate rivers and emulate erosion. To see an example of it in action go here:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/FT...-Flow-Demo.gif

Joe posted a link to it on the CC2 list and I figured that some here might benefit from the info as well.

As an aside, note how the structure of the rivers look. Many forks forming a single river at the end.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Professional Artist

Results actually look really good. What versions of FT is that feature available for, because I don't think I've ever seen it.

-Rob

That is the latest version if I recall correctly. There are a couple artifacts that pop up such as the straightness of the lines and every once in a while a several thousand mile long river will appear at the equator, but those are easily dealt with and honestly I treat the river generation as a starting point more than as a chiseled in stone fact.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Question

Yeah doesn't work for me. Which version exactly are you using. I d/l-ed FTPro yesterday. There is no incise flow option available in the latest FTPro. Is there an add-on or script I can get somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    For those of you using FT, you may want to try out a feature that many don't know about and that is its ability to generate rivers and emulate erosion. To see an example of it in action go here:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/FT...-Flow-Demo.gif

Joe posted a link to it on the CC2 list and I figured that some here might benefit from the info as well.

As an aside, note how the structure of the rivers look. Many forks forming a single river at the end.

Did you download and install the latest patch as well?

Question

Ok I am a total newb on this. Does the update install automatically or do I have to go looking for it?

By the way, thanks for the info. I'm very appreciative of all the help and general knowledge I'm absorbing from this group.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Did you download and install the latest patch as well?

Go to the ProFantasy website and log in to the registration page. You'll find updates on the right hand side after you enter your registration number for the software, if it isn't already there.

One other thing to do is to hold down the Shift key and do Help>>About. FT should show a 4-place version number of the form "2.3.0.X" where X should be somewhere around 10, if I recall. If it's "1.a.b.c" then you have the original FT, "2.d.e.f" is FT Pro. Any version less than about 2.3.0.9 means that you need to get the update from the PF registration page.