Thread: Favourite Projections

Blog Entries

Default Favourite Projections

xkcd had this to say about what your favourite small scale projection means: http://xkcd.com/977/

I'm a Winkel-Tripel proponent myself

As soon as I saw the thread title this comic popped into my mind. Favourite projection? I would say... globe, aren't I clever

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Ok, i must admit i have a thing for the Peirce quincuncial projection... but i didn't sit that long in the theatre after Inception. They threw me out before.

Ha, that was actually a lot of fun! It was also educational as I didn't recognize at least 50% of the projections.
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }

I like Dymaxion maps folded into a polyhedron ... so you can see the world as a world.
    ... but there should be 5 points at the top and bottom when displayed flat.

(The butterfly looked pretty interseting, too)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krasimir View Post
    Ha, that was actually a lot of fun! It was also educational as I didn't recognize at least 50% of the projections.
    Even I didn't know a few of them. I'd never heard of Van Der Grinten, and I couldn't have named Waterman or Quincuncial, though I had seen them before. Hobo-Dyer is an odd case as it's just a particular parameterization of Normal Cylindrical Equal Area, as is Gall-Peters. The two only differ in the selection of Standard Parallels. Still I can't remember seeing that particular parameterization, or hearing the name before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    I like Dymaxion maps folded into a polyhedron ... so you can see the world as a world.
    ... but there should be 5 points at the top and bottom when displayed flat.
    The point of Dymaxion as opposed to just a plain Gnomonic Iscoceheadral is that it takes the continuity of the features being mapped into account when unfolding the net.

I like the Dymaxion myself

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    The point of Dymaxion as opposed to just a plain Gnomonic Iscoceheadral is that it takes the continuity of the features being mapped into account when unfolding the net.
    OK. Then Dymaxion stink (unless folded) and I like Gnomonic Iscoceheadral maps.

... Oceans, the source of all life on the Earth, really are the Red-Headed Stepchildren of you cartographers, are they not?
    Last edited by atpollard; 12-06-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    OK. Then Dymaxion stink (unless folded) and I like Gnomonic Iscoceheadral maps.

... Oceans, the source of all life on the Earth, really are the Red-Headed Stepchildren of you cartographers, are they not?
    There's an ocean oriented version of Dymaxion as well, which tries to place all the interruptions on land. That's why I specifically said "Features Being Mapped" not "Land".