Thread: Openoffice 3 release

Post Openoffice 3 release

Less for mapping specifically and more for general game construction:

Not sure if it was today or yesterday or what... but we saw it in the FreeBSD ports commits today...

www.openoffice.org

I wonder if they're really having that kinda of load on their site though...

I used 2 and played with the beta for 3... its a nice alternative to MSoffice, and handy for compiling stuff...

Post Yeah, I use it too...

All my creation works fine using Xara - maps, adventures, gazeteeers, tiles, everything. But since I play DnD 3.5 and I use the SRD, I am forced to use something other than Xara to open .doc files (I wish the SRD was HTML and not DOC). Since I don't own Microsoft Word, I'm just better off using OpenOffice, free makes it easy that way.

Thanks for the heads up, my OpenOffice needs are simple, so my 2.X version should be fine for now...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I downloaded a html version of the SRD not to long ago from somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Guild Novice

SRD HTML files

I'm just glad that OpenOffice has added support for reading the newer Microsoft formats since alot of people with Office 2007 can't be bothered to save in anything but the default format. I actually had to request a full copy of MS Office at work because it had become such a hassle.

Open Office is terrific.

Its a shame that people and small businesses are so tied to proprietary formats and expensive software.

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Open Office is terrific.

Its a shame that people and small businesses are so tied to proprietary formats and expensive software.

Sigurd
    It starts even earlier... My kid's school has a computer lab. What software do they have? Word Perfect Suite! C'mon... if a school isn't going to use MS Office (industry leader) then why pick a second run software package that costs money rather than a free suite like Open Office?

Especially frustrating are the issues the kids have bring work home....and not being able to work with/bad conversion from the word perfect software If the school used Open Office they could hand out a CD to every student to work with the same software at home!

-Rob A>

It was probably an OEM package with the computers. I used to support a school computer lab that bought thirty new Dells, and every one of them came with Microsoft Works, complete with the little orange CD folder. I had an entire drawer devoted to the things; fortunately, some dimwit decided they were valuable and stole most of them. Probably tried to sell them on eBay or something.

Open Office 3 supports Office 07 files? I'm on my way to dl that now!

And why fix that web page? It's perfectly functional. Not pretty, sure, but why waste bandwidth on images when what people want is the software?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    If the school used Open Office they could hand out a CD to every student to work with the same software at home!

-Rob A>
    That very very logical conclusion is what Microsoft is afraid of and buying their way through all sorts of rules to avoid.

Criminally, they're also doing it in countries that can't afford their products but could afford to program their own if it was open source.

Sigurd

It looks like that is what Russia is going to do.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...1423&blogid=14
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-23-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    All my creation works fine using Xara - maps, adventures, gazeteeers, tiles, everything. But since I play DnD 3.5 and I use the SRD, I am forced to use something other than Xara to open .doc files (I wish the SRD was HTML and not DOC). Since I don't own Microsoft Word, I'm just better off using OpenOffice, free makes it easy that way.

Thanks for the heads up, my OpenOffice needs are simple, so my 2.X version should be fine for now...

GP
    You know about this right? http://www.d20srd.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Open Office is terrific.

Sigurd
    Actually, I'm a small business and I use Open Office for everything. Well almost everything. I still Use Acrobat Pro for post production work on my books.