Thread: Professional Help

Post Professional Help

I have two, hand-drawn maps, one a blow up of a section of the other. I've tried to learn how to redo them professionally, but without success. I'm hoping someone familiar with the cartography software can redo them for me as gif files for my fantasy books. They are simple, with countries, two rivers, a few mountains, and needing clear names and maybe a directional thingy. I want to keep it simple so readers can read the names when the maps print on pages 5" by 8". I don't have a lot of money, but would be willing to pay for this help. If anyone is interested, let me know. I can send the maps as they exist to help you decide if you want to help with this.

Thanks!

Not much of an introduction, and you also might want to read this

I have other introduction posts from a while back.

I read the 'this' evile eagle posted, but I'm not sure of your point. I was looking for someone that could professionalize my hand drawn maps. I must assume we' negotiate a price based on what I need. I noted I can send my maps for an interested cartographer who indicates he/she has the time and interest. We'd negotiate the price from there. If anyone is interested, let me know replying to this post and I will send the map pics. Thank you.

I think the point is you should read the FIRST post on that thread ( not the last one, which is what pops up when you click on "THIS" in EE's post). The very first post by Ravells gives you a lot of helpful information on how to make a good mapping request that will generate a lot more interest in your project by providing the kind of details that people are looking for.

Two things that come to my mind immediately is that you need to post this in the "Mapmaking Requests" Forum not here in the new member introductions forum, and if at all possible, post a scan of your rough draft so artists can quickly see what kind of a project you are proposing.

Good Luck with your project.

Well, for what it's worth, does it help that i'm interested?
    You can look here for my best (Atleast in my opinion) map done so far, even though it's still WIP, and then there's my Deviantart.

Thank you, Evile Eagle for your reply and interest. This site had gotten so formal, so complex, and so legalize, I was about to abandon it.

I'm just wanting a simple map that can be read on a 5" X 8" page for my paperback and ebook books. What your directed me to is fantastic, but too much detail to be read easily on a small page. Clearly, you are quite capable of making the map(s) I need. I love your border, but would it be too much on a small page? Anyway, I'll try to attach the maps I need. Again, one is just a blow up of the peninsula from the continental map with more names on it. Cities need only be a dot with capitals maybe with a tiny star. Kingdom names slightly larger. I'd like a nicely defined coastline. Also, I'd like a compass thingy if possible. I do need them as soon as reasonably possible. This will be my first self-publication and I have no hope of recovering the cost involved being an unknown. Still, let me know what you would charge for these two maps. Also, I have outline files without names if they would be useful. I tried to attach the maps, but the screen froze and I couldn't get out of it. If you would share your email address, I'll send you the map files as they now exist so you can determine what is needed and what you would charge.

Again, thank you for your interest.
    My email address is Kiousfedra@AOL.com

Quote Originally Posted by C. Craig View Post
    What your directed me to is fantastic, but too much detail to be read easily on a small page.
    Really? I've been a member here since 2007, I haven't noticed a difference. My views on the legal and formality issues here at the guild today are identical to what they were in 2007, in my opinion. Some subtle changes simply because the membership and visitors has greatly increased, but beyond that, it's hardly different than it has ever been. Although some recent threads have revealed pricing and licensing revelations that may have previously been unmentioned before, however, the basis of those considerations are no different than they ever have been, just perhaps not made public in a thread before. The reveal is new, but the reasons behind them are the same as they have always been. There is no difference as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-09-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations