Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandit Camp - Battlemat

Post Bandit Camp - Battlemat

Here's a battlemat of a Bandit Camp I made for my weekly D&D group. Thanks to everyone that offered advice from the WIP thread here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1749

This was completely done in Photoshop with a lot a lot a lot of layers and quite a few masks. The final was printed to two sheets of 13"x19".

*edit* added a version without a grid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BanditCamp.jpg 
Views:	5786 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	2996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BanditCamp-NoGrid.jpg 
Views:	3660 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	3190  
    Last edited by JFJohnny5; 04-18-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added a version without a grid overlay

Nice work grunging it up; that was just what it needed.

I hope the game was/will be as good as the map!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Praise

Would love to see a tutorial on how to create a battlemap of this caliber, but in any case it's a treat just to view it.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

This is truly a thing of beauty!! I mean that in every way shape and form. I'm giving you rep for this, and I was wondering if you would be willing to let me post a link over at the MapTools forums and point folks over here to look at it and if you don't mind, borrow it for their games.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I've been meaning to mention what a great battlemap I think this is for some time. I've been a bit focused on other threads. Consider it mentioned. Great work, it looks fantastic. Perfect as printed map or for use in a VT.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

Yes its really nice - never did discover how the shadows were done. Surely not hand painted in Photoshop tho...
    Anyway - I reckon a featured map candidate !

Wow. Thanks for all the compliments! It was a big hit with my gaming group too.

@Fister - I have thought of making a short tutorial for some of the techniques I used. As soon as I have some free time I'm going to try and put something together.

@RPMiller - Feel free to post a link to it. The thought of others using a map I made is just, well cool! =)

@Redrobes - some of the shadows actually are hand drawn in Photoshop. Some are just default drop shadows too though. But the trees for example, are actually just one tree which I then copied, rotated and resized. Then to give them some depth and the illusion of volume, I painted on shadows "within" the trees as a sort of overlay using a tablet. I'm really happy with the way they came out. The tent shadows are hand done too. And yet the shadows from the walls are NOT drop shadows. That's actually one of the techniques I want to make a tutorial for.
    Last edited by JFJohnny5; 04-18-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Done. I've asked folks to let you know if they use it.

Here is a link to the post I made: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=3829

Would you mind posting a version without the grid though? Most VTTs are able to overlay their own grid and it is easier to line things up that way plus allows those of us that prefer different types of grids to use them.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Would you mind posting a version without the grid though?
    Done. Edited my original post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast