Thread: February Entry: Battletech 3062

Guild Member

Wip February Entry: Battletech 3062

A little upset that I couldn't think of something more original...

Anywho, tried to challenge myself by picking the era with the most broken-up factions. Also, each white pixel is a planet, and is in the proper location (a little over 2000 of them).

Still to do:
    • Add Labels
    • Add a detail shot of the Chaos March (that hot-pink area in the middle)
    • Border, Title, some perrty things to give it a style

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battletech 3062.png 
Views:	1048 
Size:	676.4 KB 
ID:	10040  

Very nice, love the theme.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Cool idea by incorporating the crest like that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yuppers - great idea Darken!

Been away from BattleTech along time, who are the factions outlined in orange & gray ('southern' most ones)? I'm not familiar with them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Been away from BattleTech along time, who are the factions outlined in orange & gray ('southern' most ones)? I'm not familiar with them.
    The grey bottom left is the Magistry of Cannopus, and the orange bottom right is the Taurian Concordat. Both are lesser known because they're "periphery factions".

The blue left, red bottom, and green right are also periphery factions; so minor I couldn't even find symbols for them.

Cool!
    Black background is an nice idea.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Looks fantastic so far, Darken. Are you going to divide the main areas into smaller ones? I really like the crests as backgrounds but one problem might be that as you put more information on the map they may start to get occluded. I suppose you could put the crests as a semi-transparent foreground if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    The blue left, red bottom, and green right are also periphery factions; so minor I couldn't even find symbols for them.
    The blue near the border of the Free Worlds League is the Circinus Federation.
    The red down the bottom between the other two is Herotitus.
    The green over on the right is the Tortuga Dominion.

Personally, just adding the state names (e.g. Lyran Alliance, Draconis Combine) and marking the capital worlds would be enough. Any more detail (such as breaking in to various administrative districts) would be too much for the map (IMO).

This may be just coincidence, but I love that the colour of the Ark Royal Defence Cordon is in the brown of the Wolf clan. I managed to miss the last few Stackpole novels so I'm unsure what happened after the trial of absorbtion (3058?). Why's the Wolf clan symbol down the centre? Did they manage to make a come back? If so, why do the Jade Falcons still exist? If the symbol is for the Jade Wolves, shouldn't it be tinged green?

I've found a Kell Hounds symbol as well for the Arc Royal Defence Cordon if you want that.
    Last edited by Valarian; 02-08-2009 at 06:16 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Are you going to divide the main areas into smaller ones?
    Probably not Ravells. 1, because the map would become too cluttered (some areas already are too cluttered) and 2, because the overall purpose of the map (political) is still maintained without it. I will be dividing the Chaos March, since it's more of a loose alliance of individual houses and contains important planets such as Terra.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really like the crests as backgrounds but one problem might be that as you put more information on the map they may start to get occluded. I suppose you could put the crests as a semi-transparent foreground if that happens.
    I've already come up with a solution should that be the case: the symbol will simply be a small, scaled down version to left of the label, something like:
    Cartographer's Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    The blue near the border of the Free Worlds League is the Circinus Federation.
    The red down the bottom between the other two is Herotitus.
    The green over on the right is the Tortuga Dominion.
    I've found a Kell Hounds symbol as well for the Arc Royal Defence Cordon if you want that.
    Thanks, I was gonna put a call out for any information, but you saved me the trouble! Duely repped.

Personally, just adding the state names (e.g. Lyran Alliance, Draconis Combine) and marking the capital worlds would be enough. Any more detail (such as breaking in to various administrative districts) would be too much for the map (IMO).
    Again, got my solution if it's too crowded, but I think I will do the capital marking.

This may be just coincidence, but I love that the colour of the Ark Royal Defence Cordon is in the brown of the Wolf clan. I managed to miss the last few Stackpole novels so I'm unsure what happened after the trial of absorbtion (3058?). Why's the Wolf clan symbol down the centre? Did they manage to make a come back? If so, why do the Jade Falcons still exist? If the symbol is for the Jade Wolves, shouldn't it be tinged green?
    Sadly, a coincidence but glad it worked out. As far as the novels, I've never read any of them, though I might have to make a trip to the library now that my interest has been renewed. I got my faction information from Inner Sphere Cartography Society, which I believe is canon, but was last updated in 2000. Though, it does seem to match the wiki's Inner Sphere map for 3062.