Wip First map, unnamed Fantasy.

EDIT: latest:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	40963

Any comments and criticisms greatly appreciated

This is my first map. It is a fantasy land that I hopefully will eventually get round to writing a story in.

Name:	6561889365_4385d2d61b_b.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	40804

Still a work in progress and any advice would be appreciated.

I am now working on the mountain range.
    i have the mountain ridges drawn on as a guideline like so:

Name:	6561890457_aea91f66ff_b.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	396.0 KB 
ID:	40805

But I need advice on how best to represent them for the finished piece.
    I want the sort of precision that i have now but it doesnt look right for a fantasy old style map where they wouldnt be able to look down from over the top, and the mountains dont look particularly imposing like that.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by shasjas; 01-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Nice, so far.

Some Guildsman has done a tutorial on making mountains starting with the ridgelines. It's a pictorial / handdrawn style that might mesh with your intent. Sorry, I can't recall who - a search using "ridgelines" and "hand drawn mountains" might net you something. Anybody else remember the one I'm talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Nice, so far.

Some Guildsman has done a tutorial on making mountains starting with the ridgelines. It's a pictorial / handdrawn style that might mesh with your intent. Sorry, I can't recall who - a search using "ridgelines" and "hand drawn mountains" might net you something. Anybody else remember the one I'm talking about?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ght=ridgelines

I found this, and it seems to be what I'm after perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Nice, so far.

Nothing much came up when I did that, but i have a reasonable idea of what i want to do now. Something halfway between icons and realistic top down mountains.

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	40829
    This is how i decided to do the mountains. Thoughts?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

I like the new mountains and think it matches, but then again I am a novice. lol

I love the colors as well. So I'm going to rep you.

Thanks for the Rep, Alex.

I've put all the mountains and hills where i want them now, and touched them up a bit.

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	40880

Comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Nice map! You'll probably get rid of them, but I really like the sketchy outlines -- gives a real rough sort of feel to it that I find very appealing.

Geography note: most of your lakes have no apparent drainage to the ocean. Not impossible, but most lakes drain via a river that leads out to the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by barsoomcore View Post
    Nice map! You'll probably get rid of them, but I really like the sketchy outlines -- gives a real rough sort of feel to it that I find very appealing.

Geography note: most of your lakes have no apparent drainage to the ocean. Not impossible, but most lakes drain via a river that leads out to the ocean.
    Oh no i plan to keep to sketchy outlines. I'll add draining rivers to some of the lakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast