Thread: Federal Republic of Germany - administrative units

Default Federal Republic of Germany - administrative units

Inspired by tcberry's Map of the Atregonese Aigentarate, I considered if I could do a similar setup of small administrative units with the 19th century encyclopedia style I recently finished.

With an example map from the web, and some exercise in the previously established workflow, it took me half a day to produce this map of my home country.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRD.jpg 
Views:	867 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	56592

Except for still existing typos, (and I already removed a ton of these ) it should be complete.

(Edit: fixed some more typos, tweaked the legend a little.)
    Last edited by Freodin; 08-02-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice job Freodin. Neat and clear

Quite nice. How did you achieve the half-toned look to the strokes inside the Bundeslander?

Looks nice. Personally I'm not a massive fan of the drop shadows though.

Quote Originally Posted by tcberry View Post
    Quite nice. How did you achieve the half-toned look to the strokes inside the Bundeslander?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workflow1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	56595

That is the basic method I started with.
    The colouring in this version of the map / method is achived by using three different textures - red, as seen in Hamburg, Bremen and Berlin - blue, as in Bayern, Nordrhein-Westfalen and Sachsen-Anhalt - and yellow, Baden-Württemberg and Niedersachsen.
    To produce the other colours, these texturs are multiplied to result in the green (yellow and blue) of Hessen and Schleswig-Holstein - the orange (yellow and red) of Sachsen, Rheinland-Pfalz and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern - and the brown (red and blue) ofthe Saarland, Thüringen and Brandenburg.
    I tried to reproduce the method and result of the original's style three-colour-print... and I'd say it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
    Looks nice. Personally I'm not a massive fan of the drop shadows though.
    Hm... which drop shadows do you mean?

Good map with a convincing consistency !

And I know how hard it is sometimes to find data on old administrative boundaries...

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Hm... which drop shadows do you mean?
    Well, maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but all the labels seem to have some sort of drop shadow or outer glow that make them pop-out of the picture. It sort of ruins the flat feel of the rest of the map, for me.

But that's just a minor problem I have when I zoom in. Other than that I think it looks great. The borderstyle, just like in the italy map, is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Good map with a convincing consistency !

And I know how hard it is sometimes to find data on old administrative boundaries...
    I think it's a map from 2010 but it does look those old map. It's really convicing. I'll give you rep for that Freodin.

I still found some typos to change, and added some more irregulatiies in the "colour print". I tries some methods to get rid of the white outer glow of the text, but it seems to be the only method that works to make all labels readable.

So I think it is done. My first finished map on this forum... you can find it here.