Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Some fractal terrain questions

Did you try Filter>>Morphological>>Dilate followed by Filter>>Morphological>>Erode?

Works only on the coastline ? as I dont want to change mountains or rivers.

Select just the coastline first, then...

Here is another small problem ...

I was working on the Enlarged area, I scaled it up again to 16k image, I go for finding rivers and it finds correct rivers, but when I click ok river overlay disappear , arenot visible , no matter waht I do on show image river overlays .

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	66682

If you're not getting vector rivers, but are relying on the "Keep River Image Overlay" checkbox in Find Rivers, then you are running afoul of a bug in FT. It's not one that I've been able to reliably reproduce, so it's not one that I can fix.

If you have checked the "Keep River Image Overlay" checkbox in Find Rivers, then the blocky image used for river routing is stored as an image overlay for the world. Use Image Overlays>>Show Overlay Window to bring up the Image Overlays window, select the "River Channels" image overlay and click the Show button.

Ok I will try that , btw , I to break the mountain patterns I did :

in Photoshop created different layers of varying sizes of difference clouds, differentiated them one from the other ( same type for each though , then I have stacked two layers of those one over the other in overlay mode or similar and then I have overlayed all on the heightmap with an exclusion map of that same map inverted in the mask channels . this allowed me to break the lower patterns without breaking the mountains , I then used a silouhette of the sea to cover parts of the coasts interiors with a drop shadow in normal mode to keep consistant the sea color height , I saved , imported in Wilbur and then I had to adjoust the heights and do some height clipping for some few areas ( of course I saved befoure the sea mask I wanted to have ).
    Result seems acceptable and actually added some other extra mountain features that seem out of a Only fluvial erosion ...

At least I like it ^^ ...

Btwhow works deterracing?

for some reasons , when applying selectively on heights the incise flow I have created in some areas some stepped heights , is it possible to fix with that deterrace or somehow else?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Btwhow works deterracing?

for some reasons , when applying selectively on heights the incise flow I have created in some areas some stepped heights , is it possible to fix with that deterrace or somehow else?
    Deterracing is for removing large perfectly flat areas as would occur when importing an image created from filled contours. It's pretty much useless in any other situation.

The selection only has 256 possible levels (it's an 8-bit image). I keep meaning to convert it to a full 32-bit floating-point buffer like the regular surfaces, but for now it may result in little steps, especially if the selection wasn't feathered much or if the surface has large elevation differences. A very small blur (0.5 or so) on the surface will reduce the problem at the cost of an overall smoothing (unless you select the altitudes from just below to just above the troublesome stepped areas and then blur the surface).

Ok so basically some blurring , erode dilate isn't usefull I guess...

btw I have again to make you compliments for those two little jewell programs, the more I dig into them and use , despite I am finding some bugs or experiencing problems due to my too far stretched ambitions , are really Extremely versatile , usefull , well tought and I feel you had put a lot of passion and interest in geography shaping when you created them ... I would really like to learn how you did arive to program something like that even just for perhaps make some small little tools to do the things that are not possible to do otherwise like a climate program based on the pixie possible algorythm .

Btw a strange happening ...

In Wilbur I can see a nicely rendered view of the terrain , it seems to me that also heights are lighlty shadowed, can this be influenced anyway ? Without going to FT I mean ...

I have reproduced the similar effect using just the heightmap , render a white overlay layer with a light directional and using the alha channel of that layer with the heightmap , I set up the height and the intensity and I get the same similar shaded effect, but I notice that when I do this in the photoshop the resulting image has visible all layers of steps of the heights , while those are not visible in the heihgtmap or the Wilbur outputs, why do you think I get those stepped results in my rendering ? I saved the heightmap out of wilbur as 16 bit .

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast