Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northeastern Vesta

Map Northeastern Vesta

Description
    This map illustrates the northeastern portion of the large continent of Vesta, a landmass in a fictional world that will eventually be the setting for some sort of future fantasy novel of mine. The style of the map is an artistic satellite view with an antique overlay. I tried to produce a rather unique style and grabbed a piece from just about every tutorial on this site. For now the map is considered finish, however when (more like if ) I ever start writing it will be subjected to change.

Here's a little historical background...the main continental area has 8 major cities whose lords and vassals form a large but unstable feudal kingdom ruled from King's Crossing, the borders of which are formed by the imposing Ironside Peaks and the Bloodwood Wilds. Beyond these barriers lie vastly different cultures and kingdoms in the west. The two major islands are separate from this main kingdom, with Illion acting as the center of the major religion and the Isle of Sere being the former home of the Wyvernlords but now reduced greatly in power. My inspiration was largely British simply because I think the way they name things is top notch. You'll also notice that Sere has more of a German ring to it, highlighting their different origins. Other then that I only have a very rough historical outline floating around in my head.

The map itself is 2300px by 2000px at 300dpi such that it can be printed and fit the standard dimensions for a novel (or so I read here ).

Everything from the compass rose to the place icons were created by me, with the sole exception of the image of Atlas in the cartouche, which came from a free font pack on dafont.com. The only font that was used is Roman SD, also a free font from the same website.

I very much enjoyed making this map and I suspect that future projects will involve giving life to the many other regions of this world.

Original Thread
    Hestia Revisited [WIP Fantasy Map]

I fell in love with this map the moment I first laid eyes upon it, back when I was just beginning to work on my own map. I love how clean and crisp it is; the font was a good choice, as it is at once clear, classical and elegant. The color palette is also nice, and, as I noted in the WIP thread, I really like your choice of names (can't go wrong with British place-names). Fantastic, and original work. Enjoy some hard earned rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

This looks spectacular. Nice job.
    I especially like the shape of the southwestern mountains, and the rivers. I'm a sucker for shapes, I probably care more about them than texture.

The only (minor) note I have is the shape of the part of the "Harrowing Barrens" mountains that face the sea. They have a strange shadow-like edge. This is probably because of the bevel/emboss effect on them. It's not that big a deal, it just seems slight out of style to me.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ooh yes, that's very nice. And reppable!!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Holy-moly!

This looks great!

Oh I just found this. Quite a gem!

+rep
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Excellent map. But ...Um., It looks like your rivers are flowing backwards .... like they are flowing inland...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfsark View Post
    Excellent map. But ...Um., It looks like your rivers are flowing backwards .... like they are flowing inland...
    Why do you say that?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Just found this. Beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast