Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Mysterious Island

Wip WIP Mysterious Island

Here's an island map (set in a fictional Mediterranean sea) that I've started working on for a Mazes & Minotaurs adventure (Peplum/Sword & Sandal Fantasy game). This is going to be an island with giant carnivorous plants, a race of beast men (of some type - I haven't decided yet) and some other odds and ends.

I plan on adding to the map:
    1) the surrounding reef
    2) perhaps ship wreckage in the lagoon
    3) some rocks (on land and in the lagoon)
    4) a few more icons (like the temple icon)

I drew the island outline and surrounding cliff by hand. I then used Photoshop to clean it up and add colour and other special effects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mysterious_island001.png 
Views:	485 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	6393  
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Here's the same map with the standard square grid. Hmmm... I guess I should make it a hex grid.

Name:	mysterious_island001grid.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	761.4 KB 
ID:	6394  
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I'm not sure this can truly be a Mysterious Island Turgenev with no Nautilus or Captain Nemo.

Seriously, good work so far. I'm curious to see how the island develops. I hope it has a cavern, temple or dungeon complex underground. You seem to have a flair for drawing those.

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    I'm not sure this can truly be a Mysterious Island Turgenev with no Nautilus or Captain Nemo.
    Heh heh, I'm aware if that Mysterious Island but in this vase it is a specific game term from Mazes & Monsters. Think of the various mysterious islands that Odysseus encountered on his voyage home from Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    Seriously, good work so far. I'm curious to see how the island develops. I hope it has a cavern, temple or dungeon complex underground. You seem to have a flair for drawing those.
    If you look closely at the cliff wall that is at the beach, you will see three small cave openings. One leads up to the temple icon and the others... why I'm undecided as of yet. Perhaps one will lead to the Underworld.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Perhaps one of them leads to the lair(s) of a covey of sea hags...

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Perhaps one of them leads to the lair(s) of a covey of sea hags...
    I'm figuring one of the caves (the cave to the temple) will have an elderly priest of Zeus? Apollo? I haven't decided yet. I was thinking of having a Manticore roaming the forest on top of the cliffs. When it comes to monsters, I have many choices to choose from (using the Mazes & Monsters Creature Companion) or I just could make up my own monsters (using the rules in the Maze Master's Guide). I'm thinking of using the Birds of Ares (Huge man-eating birds that shoot arrow-like darts from their wings) in the adventure - they like to pick off survivors who wash up on shore.

My idea for the adventure is to have the Characters get shipwreck (after a ferocious storm) and wash up on shore. From there they will explore the island and learn of its secrets and dangers. Course I will have to figure out some way for the Characters to get off the island by the end of the adventure.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Make it all a dream, they wake back up on the boat (or shipwrecked on a different island-- LOL) ya... they love it when you do things like that

I really like the look of the island.

Good Job!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks, NeonKnight. I'm hoping to add a few more details maybe later tonight (time willing).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Here's version 2. I added the surrounding reef, a few rocks in the sea/lagoon (which I'm not 100% happy with), a rocky outcrop on the plateau, and a direction compass (which I will probably tweak a bit more).

Name:	mysterious_island002.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	865.8 KB 
ID:	6407  
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast