Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - Skies of Fire - Map of the Aquilan Empire

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Default - Skies of Fire - Map of the Aquilan Empire

Another Map I finished a while ago for Skies of Fire a graphic novel project by Vincenzo Ferriero and Ray Chou, which goes to Kickstarter today (I will link it as soon as its open for pledges). This is my sixth participation of a Kickstarter and hopefully more to come. The Process of making this Map was very fullfilling as I had many freedoms of interpreting the initial sketch of the clients and added a wide range of surgestions and location names into the map and therefor contributed to the world of Skies of Fire. I also designed the complete coverdesignelements, which was a difficult task to comeup with something visually capturing while flexible enough to be used on many more issues of the series.
    Here are the kind words of the Ray and Vince about my collaboration with them:

"Working with Vandel was a pleasure. He answered our ad on the Cartographer’s Guild and we were immediately blown away by his portfolio. When we started working with him, Josephe proved to be extremely knowledgable about...well, everything. We went into the project with an idea of our story and world, but collaborating with Josephe allowed us to ground all of our fiction - encompassing culture, countries, and geography - with historical reality. Throughout the process Josephe was extremely meticulous yet open to suggestion. Any change we wanted to see he made swiftly and without complaint. When we saw how talented he was, we immediately jumped at the opportunity to hire him as a logo designer for both our comic book title and creative imprint. Although he claimed such work was not his expertise, his actual product belied his words; the logos we received were miles above that of any other graphic designer we had approached. Once again Josephe had proven how talented and versatile he was. We’re happy to say that over time Josephe has become more than a collaborator; he’s now a great friend. We’d recommend him to anyone desiring a top-quality map and know that his expertise cannot be matched. He is truly a magnificent cartographer." - Ray Chou, Mythopoeia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skies of fire Map_Final_small.jpg 
Views:	1655 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	62229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoF_Cover_Mockup_000003.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	62230  

Excellent map! Mountains are awesome (as always), as are the composition, border, title and legend! My only critic would have been to lower a bit the red of the cities (but that's just a matter of taste).

Oh, and special like for the Great Expanse!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Nice. Would like to see some more of those logos, if theyre done

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    Nice. Would like to see some more of those logos, if theyre done
    One is the Oroborus Dragon on the right corner of the cover. The others will be uploaded soon.
    Many Thanks to all the kind words!

Hey SK, very nice map. Great mountains, as always.
    And great words the folks you did the map for found for you and your work. I hope it will get you even more commissions.

If i can i'll rep you. And have a Like.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Fantastic! It has a wonderful historic flavor.

Thanks for sharing. I wish I could give you more rep but apparently I have to spread it around more.

Guild Novice Guild Supporter
    Blog Entries

I really like the style of this map - it has everything in balance for the sort of C19th Europe map I want to commission. Many thanks for an excellent work of inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG-UK View Post
    I really like the style of this map - it has everything in balance for the sort of C19th Europe map I want to commission. Many thanks for an excellent work of inspiration.
    If you like it, you always can commission me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast